cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Veritas Cluster

abidghori
Level 3

Dear all

we are in the process of installing veritas cluster and storage foundation and we have Netapp Storage,do we need shared LUN to install Veritas Cluster?.Right now im trying to connect LUN and there are two options one is dedicated and another is Shared LUN for microsoft Cluster Services.

Can anybody provide the checklist for Veritas Cluster and Storage Foundation and Netbackup 7.0.

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Start with Compatibility lists:

SFW 5.1 SP1 HCL:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337683.pdf
(Have a look at all the 'Notes' for NetApp in the HCL)

SFW 5.1 SP1 SCL:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337682.pdf

NBU 7 Compatibility Lists:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303344.htm

Installation and Upgrade Checklists:
https://vos.symantec.com/home

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne

Start with Compatibility lists:

SFW 5.1 SP1 HCL:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337683.pdf
(Have a look at all the 'Notes' for NetApp in the HCL)

SFW 5.1 SP1 SCL:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/337682.pdf

NBU 7 Compatibility Lists:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303344.htm

Installation and Upgrade Checklists:
https://vos.symantec.com/home

Michael_Black
Level 4
Employee
I believe the answer to your question is "dedicated."

I found this information on page 54 in the "Veritas Cluster Server for NetApp SnapMirror Implementation Guide for Microsoft Exchange." I know you are running NetBackup, but I think the setup would similar for SnapDrive.

Here is the excerpt:

Connecting virtual disks to the cluster node
Once the virtual disks are created on the NetApp filer, they must be connected
(if not connected already) to the cluster nodes using NetApp SnapDrive.
To connect virtual disks to the cluster node
1 Start the Computer Management MMC on the cluster node where you want
to connect the LUN. (Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools >
Computer Management)
2 From the left pane, expand Storage and double-click SnapDrive.
3 Right-click Disks and then click Connect Disk... to launch the Connect Disk
wizard.
4 Click Next on the Welcome page.
5 Specify the path of the virtual disk that you wish to connect to the cluster
node and then click Next.
6 Select Dedicated as the Virtual Disk Type and then click Next.
7 Click Assign a Drive Letter and then choose a drive letter from the
drop-down list.
8 On the Select Initiator panel, specify the initiator(s) for the virtual disk and
then click Next.
9 On the igroup Management Type panel, choose the option that allows
SnapDrive to perform igroup management automatically and then click
Next.
10 Click Finish to begin connecting the specified virtual disk to the cluster
node.

abidghori
Level 3

Thanks for the quick response, i appreciate your help

abidghori
Level 3

First of all thanks to marianne and Mike,

Actually, the guy who is responsible to install the veritas cluster is asking for shared LUN, now my question is do we need to create a shared LUN before installing the Veritas or first install the Veritas Cluster services on the Nodes then only we can share the lUN.

My detail scenario is

two nodes with Windows 2008 R2 O.S, install the Host Attached Kit,DSM,Snap drive and im try to connect the LUN which i created at the storage side, while creating the LUN is i get only two options as stated above one is dedicated and one is shared for Microsoft, do we get another option if we install the veritas cluster services before connecting the LUN.

we have Net App FAS 3040 7.2.6.1 Data Ontap ,Snapdrive is 6.2, we will be installing VCS 5.0 or 5.1 and Netbackup 7.

Hope to get reply soon

Marianne

No Shared lun is required for SFW/HA installation. You need shared lun when installing/configuring NBU in the cluster.
Requirements for installation in SFW/HA Installation Guide:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Storage_Foundation_for_Windows/306327.pdf

NBU HA Guide:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/340139.pdf

Which model NetApp are you using? Knowing the model will probably narrow down the search for relevant info...

Michael_Black
Level 4
Employee
Marianne, it sounds like the poster is referring to the "Virtual Disk Type" when you run theSnapDrive Add New Disk wizard. Is this what you are referring to when you say "shared" ? I didn't anything in the NetBackup guides that referred to SnapDrive, but the guide for Exchange recommends Dedicated as the Virtual Disk Type. Is it different for NetBackup?

Marianne
I am unfamiliar with NetApp in a clustered environment - hence my request for model to do a proper search.
NetBackup requires a volume in a Cluster Disk group that can be deported and imported on both nodes.

I know with other disk arrays, there are specific settings that have to be selected during lun assignment. There are normally documentation on the array vendor's web site that explains the different settings. For instance, a recent cluster config that was using an HP array, this 'Host Mode' setting had to be chosen: "Windows with Emulex or QLogic FC HBAs with or without MSCS." We had a support call logged with Symantec and HP and the above was their recommendation. There was no VCS setting and this was the only 'cluster aware' choice.
I was enquiring at the time as to why there was no Windows equivalent of the SF for Unix Hardware TechNote - Symantec's answer was:  "If the settings are not listed in the HCL we follow the vendors recommendations."

abidghori
Level 3

Thanks Marianne and Mike,

As stated by Marianne, no shared lUN required for installing SFW/Ha is what i was looking for, as after installing SFW/HA then only we will go for NBU installation.Am i right?

another thing i heard is you install the veritas cluster on one Node of the cluster and as you add second node, the volume manager will take care of sharing the Resources. is it correct ?

Hope to recieve the reply soon.

Marianne

The Installation Guide (link posted previously) is your friend.
You need to check all the pre-req's (such as independent heartbeat links connected), network access and appropriate administrative privileges to both nodes, all servers must run the same operating system, service pack level, and
system architecture, only one path to external storage, etc.. etc...

You start the installation of SFW/HA (Storage Foundation and Cluster) on one of the nodes and select BOTH nodes to be installed simultaneously.
At the end of the installation, you can start the wizard to do the basic cluster config (setup cluster name, cluster id, heartbeats/private network, etc..).