cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a Windows cluster using Storage foundation

mark23
Not applicable
I am trying to setup a 2 node cluster using Storage foundation and I have a number of questions.

1) Do I need to create the dynamic disk groups on each node? or just the primary node. The cluster will require more than 1 disk group
2) Do I need to setup the cluster group on each node or just the primary node

Is there a step by step document on how I can setup th cluster using storage foundation
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Mark
To answer your questions:
1) The Cluster Disk Group is created on one node. Before you add it to a Cluster Service Group, test deport from 1st node and import on 2nd node.
2) Cluster config is done on one node - cluster configuration is automatically copied to all active nodes.

Some additional advise:
First prize would be if you could book yourself on a training course for both Storage Foundation and Veritas Cluster for Windows.
Important basics are often overlooked with a DIY solution. I have seen situations where the product was blamed for something as basic as Compatibility Guides that were not consulted.
Second prize would be if you could get assistance from a trained consultant for installation and configuration of at least on Cluster Service Group.
Lastly, if these two options are not possible, download and read all relevant manuals. My recommendation is as follows:

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows and High Availability Solutions Getting Started Guide 5.1 

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows and High Availability Solutions Installation and Upgrade Guid...

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows Administrator's Guide 5.1

Veritas™ Cluster Server Administrator’s Guide

All manuals are also available on your installation media.

More manuals available from this link:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/documentation.jsp?language=english&view=manuals&pid=15227

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Mark
To answer your questions:
1) The Cluster Disk Group is created on one node. Before you add it to a Cluster Service Group, test deport from 1st node and import on 2nd node.
2) Cluster config is done on one node - cluster configuration is automatically copied to all active nodes.

Some additional advise:
First prize would be if you could book yourself on a training course for both Storage Foundation and Veritas Cluster for Windows.
Important basics are often overlooked with a DIY solution. I have seen situations where the product was blamed for something as basic as Compatibility Guides that were not consulted.
Second prize would be if you could get assistance from a trained consultant for installation and configuration of at least on Cluster Service Group.
Lastly, if these two options are not possible, download and read all relevant manuals. My recommendation is as follows:

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows and High Availability Solutions Getting Started Guide 5.1 

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows and High Availability Solutions Installation and Upgrade Guid...

Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows Administrator's Guide 5.1

Veritas™ Cluster Server Administrator’s Guide

All manuals are also available on your installation media.

More manuals available from this link:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/documentation.jsp?language=english&view=manuals&pid=15227

EJameson
Level 3
Employee Accredited
Hello Mark,

To add to Marianne's previous post, if you are trying to implement a Microsoft Cluster Server or Failover Cluster (Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 respectively), you will want to review Page 650 in the Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows Administrator's Guide 5.1 link provided by Marianne.

The information regarding the disk group configuration does not change.

The section on MSCS/ MSFC will provide the details necessary to establish a Microsoft cluster using Storage Foundation for Windows to manage the disks and provide the needed disk groups.

Additionally, please note that when installing Storage Foundation for Windows, if the MSCS / MSFC cluster has not already been configured, you'll want to avoid installing the MSCS / MSFC options within Storage Foundationm until the cluster is configured. More information is available in our Admin Guide on Page 650.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Jay Jameson
Symantec Technical Support Engineer
Storage Foundation for Windows
Storage Foundation for Windows with High Availability
Storage Foundation Manager