cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to start vxfen on SLES 10.2

adknapp
Level 2

Hello,

When I run the installer for SLES 10, it hangs when trying to start up vxfen.  When I try to manually start vxfen, here is the error I am getting:

# /etc/init.d/vxfen start
Starting vxfen..
ERROR: No appropriate modules found.
Error in loading module "vxfen". See documentation.
VxFEN:Error: cannot find compatible module binary
VxFEN:ERROR: module load failed
...Exiting

Can anyone comment on what this error means and how I can work around it?

Thanks,

-Andy
3 REPLIES 3

adknapp
Level 2

More info:

The system logs report the following:

Apr 14 16:08:05 AMS-54-Dev kernel: vxfen: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
Apr 14 16:08:05 AMS-54-Dev kernel: vxfen: Loading module compiled for kernel version 2.6.16.60-0.21-smp into kernel version 2.6.16.60-0.42.5-smp
Apr 14 16:08:05 AMS-54-Dev kernel: vxfen: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
Apr 14 16:08:05 AMS-54-Dev kernel: vxfen: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

Ted_Summers
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Those kinds of error messages are often due to ABI incompatibility with a specific Linux kernel version.
What kernel version are you running? (uname -a)
What exact version of SF are you running?
rpm -aq |grep -i vxfen

You might need to start a case with support for this....

Jaeha
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

There is a problem with loading the vxfen module.  system logs indicating some compatibility issue with kernel version, but it also could be juts cosmatic issue as always vxfen module was compiled old kernel. 

There is a known bug with script on 5.0MP3:
see if /etc/init.d/vxfen contains "vcsmodinst".  if so, please change it to 'modinst', then try to start vxfen again.

installer script would not allow to install packages on not compatibile OS/Kernel version, so if you have upgraded OS kernel after install packages, you might have this kind of compatibilty issue.  Have you upgrade OS or kernel after install ?

Regards,
Jaeha