cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install 5.0MP3 RP1

maxwcc
Level 2

After installing SF5.0MP3 (Option 5 in the menu). I've been struggling trying to install 5.0MP3 RP1.

What is the proper way to do it? What confuses me a bit is how to do the patchadd commands.

Should I do something like  these three commands (for example):

# patchadd -M StorageFoundation5.0MP3RP1/patches/storage_foundation ...
# patchadd -M StorageFoundation5.0MP3RP1/patches/file_system/patches ...
# patchadd -M StorageFoundation5.0MP3RP1/patches/volume_manager/patches ...

OR just only one command:

# patchadd -M StorageFoundation5.0MP3RP1/patches/storage_foundation ... 

The 5.0MP3 RP1 docs are not clear about this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maxwcc
Level 2

Thanks Kimberley. Will keep that on mind for the future.

I am setting up a Jumpstart configuration and I am going through the painful process...

Even though the documentation does not explicitly mention it, it could be intuitively deducted.

Since I am patching ‘Storage Foundation’ the only dir I really need to care about is understandably StorageFoundation5.0MP3RP1/patches/storage_foundation/patches. I was already thinking that this should be the proper dir. But I submitted the question just to confirm.

I was able to unequivocally reach this basic ‘intuitive’ conclusion by comparing the contents of the 2 other directories I was doubtful about (volume_manager, file_system).
As we could expect
SFDIR = VMDIR + FSDIR + SFpatches

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kimberley
Level 6
Partner

Patch Central might have additional information for you:
http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/patch-central-beta

Also, Veritas Installation Assessment Service, which is a free service created by the  Storage Foundation Development Team, will provide information for you: It's available from the Downloads section of Connect
http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/veritas-installation-assessment-service-vias

Hope this helps,

maxwcc
Level 2

Thanks Kimberley. Will keep that on mind for the future.

I am setting up a Jumpstart configuration and I am going through the painful process...

Even though the documentation does not explicitly mention it, it could be intuitively deducted.

Since I am patching ‘Storage Foundation’ the only dir I really need to care about is understandably StorageFoundation5.0MP3RP1/patches/storage_foundation/patches. I was already thinking that this should be the proper dir. But I submitted the question just to confirm.

I was able to unequivocally reach this basic ‘intuitive’ conclusion by comparing the contents of the 2 other directories I was doubtful about (volume_manager, file_system).
As we could expect
SFDIR = VMDIR + FSDIR + SFpatches

AAntonucci
Level 3
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Max

Consider that when we speak about Storage Foundation, we usually speak about both Veritas Volume Manager and Veritas File System. Sometime the suffix HA is appended when Cluster Server software is installed ... so in order to correclty patch your environment "StorageFoundations5.0MP3RP1/patches/storage_foundation..." directory should be used