cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SF 5.0 on Solaris 10 installer error

gator_brad
Level 2
I am installing SF 5.0MP1 concurrently on to SunFire V240's running Solaris 10.
Preinstallation checks all good.
After I have established a default disk group the error returns:

> None of target systems can be configured for VxFAS because SYMCLI for TimeFinder was not found.

I don't even know what TimeFinder is and I can't find anything about it in the system requirments documentation.

Then it advances to try to query my fully qualified domain name and fails.
The error is retuned saying this:

> Bad arg length for Socket::pack_sockaddr_in, length is zero should be 4 at
../perl/SunOS/perl/lib/5.8.8/sun4-solaris-thread-multi-64int/Socket.pm line 373, <stdin> line 8.

The line 8 at the end iterates each time I hit return to reiterate the script (i.e. 9, 10, 11....)

And, yes, my /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/defaultrouter are configured properly, as are my subnet masks, and IP addresses.  I can ping the default gateway, ping any machine in the network by name and nslookup forward and back from both Sun boxes I am doing the install on.  I double checked and all of the names I gave the installer are correct and an nslookup from either box using the names I gave returns the proper IP and fully qualified domain name.

So what's the deal?
This thing isn't trying to do an internet lookup is it?
I'm on an isolated network that will not reach the internet, so I hope not.

3 REPLIES 3

Blue_Lang
Level 3
hi Brad,

can you send along a screencap of the installer functions around the perl error? i'm guessing it's right after the "determining fqhn" message?

i'm looking in to the FAS/SYMCLI problem. if you have a support account, please open a ticket and ask them to forward it to me ASAP.

how did you get to this state? fresh install of SF5.0 followed by 50MP1? is this straight from the media, or downloaded?

thanks,

Marcus_Reid
Level 2
Hi,

I ran into this message as well.

Do you want to set up a default disk group for each system? [y,n,q,?] (y) n

None of the target systems can be configured for VxFAS because SYMCLI for TimeFinder was not found

From the Flashsnap Agent docs:

If you are operating in a mixed or EMC Symmetrix-only storage environment
and you want to use VxFAS functionality, follow the procedure below to
remove the VRTSvail package and install VxFAS.

Note VxFAS requires the Symmetrix command line interface (SYMCLI) and EMC
Solutions Enabler kit V5.1 or above. If you have an older version of SYMCLI, first
upgrade SYMCLI software.

Thank You,

Marcus Reid

Message Edited by Marcus Reid on 09-26-2007 09:53 PM

sezen_eren1
Not applicable
Hi all,

I am installing SFA 5.0 on Sun T2000 servers, Solaris 10. During the installation everything seems going well, and after successfully installa the packages it asks whether to create defaut disk group or not.

After this step it print the following line

"None of the target systems can be configured for VxFAS because SYMCLI for TimeFinder was not found" 
and then asks for FQHN of the servers. The trouble starts after that It fails at this level

Configuring VEA in STANDALONE mode on "server-00"  ..   .............. fail   VEA configuration failed         Unable to restart vxsvc!  And then it asks for a password which I don't have a clue which password is that.

Please Enter Password> 
And finaly prints this on screen:

The following processes or drivers failed to start on server-00:         vxsvc         gridnode         actionagent         StorageAgent         DBEDAgent 
I have been installing and configuring Veritas for long time and these steps were really unproblematic.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong in this installation, why are these failing

thanks in advance
//sezen