cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename or remove miss-typed disk name in VxVM

Vince_Corona
Level 4

I was using vxdiskadm to add a new disk to a disk group.  I wanted to manually specify the disk name and misstyped it.  When I pressed backspace, I naturally got the typical unix "^?^?".  When I pressed enter, it seemed to take some format of the name, but not all of it.  When I type vxdisk -v list , the disk name is showing up as 146sas_ .  However, any effort of using vxdiskadm to specify it for removeal, or using vxedit to rename it fails indicating that V-5-1-9457 No record found for object name 146sas_. 

If I type vxdisk -v list EMC_CLARiiON0_4 (the actual device name), even there it shows the disk name as 145sas_. 

Any advice out there how to rename or remove this puppy?

Message Edited by Vince Corona on 09-11-2008 08:25 PM
1 REPLY 1

ariadna
Not applicable
Employee

I believe your disk name may have unprintable characters in it, e.g. backspaces.  Do you recall exactly each key you pressed before you hit ENTER when adding the disk and retry that when using the command line utilities, (  as odd as that may sound ).  Each of the input methods you have mentioned use the terminal characteristics to map your keystrokes into the interface  - the same thing that likely caused the name   to be saved with unprintable characters originally.   I would try using the VEA interface to remove the disk, because it is not going to rely on your terminal characteristics when manipulating the underlying data.

I hope that helps.  Let me know how it goes.