cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change cluster node names?

GeorgeC
Level 4

Hello All,

I have a two node HA cluster that is cofigured, up and running.

The environment details are:

Solaris 10 10/09 with  Veritas-5.0MP3RP2

The cluster was build using hostnames of the form hosta-new and hostb-new. We need to rename the machines to hosta and hostb. ( These machines are going to replace an existing cluster which we are going to offling before we change the names)

Can anybody tell me what I would need to change in VCS to remove the "-new"?  As I said, the cluster is already up and running and we are only doing a name change (on the machines and in dns). The IP's will remain the same.

TIA

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi George,

here would be the steps:

-- stop the cluster using "hastop -all -force"  command, this will keep your all applications & filesystems running, just will stop the VCS engine

-- stop GAB & LLT using scripts in /etc/init.d  (/etc/init.d/gab stop      /etc/init.d/llt stop)

-- edit /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf file on any one node & replace ALL instances of old hostnames with new one... Also edit /etc/llthosts  to reflect new names. Also check for /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname if populated for hostnames & make necessary changes

-- make sure main.cf has been edited correctly

hacf -verify /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config                     (this command should return without any output)

-- start the cluster using hastart on this node where you have made the changes

-- after a minute start the cluster using hastart on other node so that it will remote build from other node automatically..

Gaurav

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hi George,

here would be the steps:

-- stop the cluster using "hastop -all -force"  command, this will keep your all applications & filesystems running, just will stop the VCS engine

-- stop GAB & LLT using scripts in /etc/init.d  (/etc/init.d/gab stop      /etc/init.d/llt stop)

-- edit /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf file on any one node & replace ALL instances of old hostnames with new one... Also edit /etc/llthosts  to reflect new names. Also check for /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname if populated for hostnames & make necessary changes

-- make sure main.cf has been edited correctly

hacf -verify /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config                     (this command should return without any output)

-- start the cluster using hastart on this node where you have made the changes

-- after a minute start the cluster using hastart on other node so that it will remote build from other node automatically..

Gaurav

sam321
Level 4

The shortest way is changing OS's hostname only.
First check /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname. If sysname exists and contain VCS node name, VCS may work correctly after changing OS's hostname. VCS node name still remain old name.

If you want to change both OS's hostname and VCS node name as same, following procedure needed.

1. Stop VCS/GAB/LLT
2. Change node name in following files.
/etc/llttab
/etc/llthosts
/etc/VRTSvcs/conf/sysname
/etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf
3. Change OS's hostname and reboot.

I hope this helps.

GeorgeC
Level 4

Very helpful. Thanks to both of you...