Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VxVM/VVR - vxassist addlog error

zkralj
Level 2
Partner
Hi,

I have a problem with adding DCM logs to existing data volumes. I get the following error:

root:/ # vxassist -g dg01 addlog rootdbs logtype=dcm nlog=1
VxVM vxassist WARNING V-5-1-9638 Mirroring DCM logs is highly recommended.
VxVM vxplex ERROR V-5-1-10127 changing plex rootdbs-02:
License has expired or is not available for operation
VxVM vxplex ERROR V-5-1-407 Attempting to cleanup after failure ...
VxVM vxassist ERROR V-5-1-501 Could not attach log plex(es) to volume rootdbs
VxVM vxassist WARNING V-5-1-765 Object rootdbs-02: Unexpectedly removed from the configuration

It's a HP-UX system (11.23) with VxVM/VVR 5.0 MP1 installed. Licensing should be OK:

root:/ # vxlicrep

Symantec License Manager vxlicrep utility version 3.02.16.0
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.

Creating a report on all VERITAS products installed on this system

-----------------***********************-----------------

License Key = ####-####-####-####-####-####
Product Name = VERITAS Volume Manager
Serial Number = ####
License Type = PERMANENT
OEM ID = 2006

Features :=

VVR = Enabled
CPU Count = Not Restricted
Platform = HP-UX
Version = 5.0
Maximum number of volumes = Not Restricted

Any ideas?

Z.
3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Gao
Level 4
I still think this is a license problem.

The other day, while I practised the VVR setup,  I got the similar problem related to license.

As at the time, I am using a demo license, and it is reaching the end of trial, thus I change system time back for several time.    Afterwards,  vxlicrep reports the license is valid and many days left, while there is an error or invalid something in the middle of output from vxlicrep.   I just deleted the license and re-install the license, then everything is back to track.

Based on your input, I would suggest to re-install the license and see how it goes.  Pls update us afterwards.

Eric

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

Eric is right, try reinstalling license i.e remove everything from /etc/vx/licenses/lic directory & readd the license...

If you still face issues, try contacting Symantec & get a demo license to troubleshoot if its really a license problem....

Gaurav

zkralj
Level 2
Partner

It's a valid permanent, not a demo license and all the VVR features (sync, replication, failover, failback, ...) are working fine. I have set up a test environment without DCM protection (SRL only) and now I'm trying to add DCM logs to data volumes.
It's a "bit" annoying to find multiple errors under the same error ID in docs and forums (non like mine of course ;-)).

I'll try what you said and let you know about results,

Z.