Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic vxreattach after mirror broke up

Angrox
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

I have a question regarding automatic recovery of NODEVICE plexes after loosing the connection to a SAN box.

I have SF 5.0MP3 using RHEL 5.2 as OS. All volumes are mirrored to two different SAN boxes. In the event that I loose all pathes to one SAN device one plex of each volume goes to NODEVICE, disabling the plex. When the connection is reestablished i understand i have to manually reactivate them using "vxreattach -r".

Is there a possibility to configure vxvm that the reattach is done automatically (if the correct luns are back online)? Maybe someone has "best practice" experience how to do this? Is it actually safe to automate this process?

thanks in advance,

martin

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

I would think of keeping the process manual since I would never trust the disks & SAN once they are back, just in case if wrong mirroring happens that can happen my data....

In case my SAN is back online, running vxrecover with -bsE option would be the best I think....

Gaurav

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
You normally don't want vxreattach -r (which is the option which also initiates a vxrecover) running automatically since they involve resynchronization, which may impact application performance as well.

As Gaurav says, you can use options -bsE which would in effect delay the vxrecover (resync) portion until some later time (when you judge it will not have application performance impact).

Also, if you have this type of issue impact you regularly, you may want to resolve that, not patch the situation with workarounds that may hide the underlying issue (SAN connectivity, etc)