cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 Recovery - failed to boot

Stylax
Level 4

Hi,

I'm evaluating BESR 2010 and up until this last time out all has been going well.

I've sucessfully recovered and SBS2008 server all on one C:\ partition on SATA to another different hardware also on SATA via ext USB drive.

I've sucessfully recovered and SBS2008 server all on one C:\ partition on SATA to another different hardware also on SATA. via NAS drive/mapped folder.

I've sucessfully recovered and SBS2008 server C:\, E:\ and F:\ partitions on SATA to another different hardware also on SATA. via ext USB drive.

I've sucessfully recovered and SBS2008 server C:\, E:\ and F:\ partitions on SATA to another different hardware also on SATA. via NAS drive drive./mapped folder

So far so good..no problems at all everything works as expected..now lets add somthing different into the mix..

Now I am trying to recover an SBS2008 server C:\, E:\ and F:\ partitions on SAS/RAID to another different hardware on SATA via ext USB drive.

First time out once the recovery had finished the recovered system on the SATA based box would not boot.

Looking at Diskpart it seems that it has set the C:\ partition as F:\,   the E:\ partition as C:\    and the F:\ partition as E:\   ...?

So I tried again this time electing to just recover C:\ to see what would happen.

This time it recovered C:\ OK ...seemingly ..until it got to the login prompt..then I found when I tried to logon as the domain admin I got a message saying that the security database on the server does not have a trust relationship for the account I'm trying to logon as ?? what ??

On researching this in this forum it seems that I might have to change one of the 'Restore Anywhere' hidden options not to run 'Mini setup' during recovery..

Found out where this was and had another go but with all three partitions again C:\, E:\ and F:\...  ..same thing won't boot.

Am I missing a trick or two here ?

Why did I not get into any problems like this when going from the initial server based on SATA ? Everything worked perfectly when doing this.

Went from an HP server onto a Dell Server without any problems at all.

Is this happening because this second test is coming from a SAS/RAID based server ?

It's restoring the data OK as I can see the files and folders in the Symantec Explorer program but the drive partitions are set incorrectly.

Just doesn;t seem to want to boot, probably cos the partitions are the wrong way around perhaps ?

Any ideas ?

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you restored the MBR on the appropriate drive and also activeded the drive ?

Stylax
Level 4

Given that I didn't appear to need to do this on the ealier sucessful recovery procedures I don't recall taking any special steps to do this this time around..

I also didn't appear to need to do this when I elected to just restore the C:\ partition on its own.

It booted OK that time, though it did appear ti run the 'Mini setup' which fubarred my DC.

How can I check for this and at what stage should I have perfomed this if it was a necassary step ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You can set this option on a per volume basis when selecting the volumes to restore using the restore wizard in the SRD.

Stylax
Level 4

Having another go at the moment..

I notice that the external USB drive is seen as drive C:\ when I connect it to the target recovery server ?

I've just be back to the other servers where I had the previous sucessful tests and the ext USB drive is seen as drive G:\ on those.

Could this be the problem ?

Anyway, trying again on the combination that isn't working, will get back to you when it completes.

Stylax
Level 4

Nope, that didn't work either..still has the restored drives in the incorrect order and will not boot.

Source server is HP ML 350 G6 originally setup from HP SmartStart CD if that helps.

Could this have created the partitions in an odd manner in the first place ?

I might have another go from a mapped network drive location from a NAS instead.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Please keep us posted !

Stylax
Level 4

Still having no luck with this particular server, curiously when backing up although the itnery says C:\, E:\, F:\   ...it actually backups up in the order E:\ then C:\ then F:\, ie the order it restores the drive incorrectly.

It also creates the offsite copies in the same E:\, C:\, F:\ order as well.

This could just be a one off on this server I guess, the thing is though, this is the server that we initially want to protect.
As said previously it was setup from the HP SmartStart CD, whether this does anything bizzare..

The partitions would definately have been created in the correct order originally. We usually create C:\ first using the SmartStart CD and then when the OS is loaded create E:\ and then F:\

Any ideas why Windows and BESR is seeing them as C:\. E:\ F:\ but backing them up in the order E:\, C:\ F:\  and rather more worringly restoring them in the order E:\, C:\, F:\...which of course means that it tries to make the E:\ drive the systsm boot drive..

Weird..just for the record I seelct the drive in the correct order when choosing them for backup.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Really cool, but no idea man !

Stylax
Level 4

Hey this is just crazy man...I just checked the other test servers, not HP or SmartStart or anything,  which i have been using for testing that have three partitions..

BESR is backing them all up in the order E:\ then C:\ and then F:\  why on earth is it doing this ?

Anyone else with three partitions checked their logs to see which ones are actually getting backed up first ?

Am I being niave thinking that it ought to be doing this in C:\ E:\ F: order ? and does it really matter ?  very odd..

pelumu
Level 3

I have the same problem.

Is there already a solution?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

So Do i now in my DR site, I am unable to get into the server properly (infinitley reboot) after restore into smaller partitions eventhough the restore anywhere has been selected.