cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR recovery problem not seeing drives

wsellers
Level 2
I'm running on test on the ability to recover to a new server.
On the old server I created the restore points which were written to a USB drive.... no problems.
I created the recovery disk....no problem.
The original server had two SATA drives.
The new server has two Sata and two mirrored drives.
on bootup I can see the drive controller recognizing the drives.
Now I boot with the recovery disk.
I get the menu choices
I select recover
It ask me to select a recovery point.
When it ask for the destination I can only see the USB drive no other drives are displayed.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

3 REPLIES 3

marcogsp
Level 6
Chances are the drivers for your drive controller on the recovery disk are just recent  enough to get the recovery environment booted, but not recognize the drives attached to the controller.  Drive controllers of the same family can exist in many versions of firmware, so the drivers may not be able to work with the full feature set.  Assuming you are working with a more recent version of the SRD, you can use the "Load Driver" tab in the recovery environment to load the correct driver.  Be sure to use the Vista drivers for your controller, since the recovery environment is Vista PE.  You can also build a custom recovery CD with the correct drivers, again assuming you have a more recent version of the product, i.e. version 7.0 or higher

wsellers
Level 2
I neglected to mention that I downloaded the trial version 8.5.
I don't understand why I should use Vista drivers since this is a windows 2003 server.

marcogsp
Level 6
There are at least two sets of NIC and storage drivers contained on the recovery CD.  The Vista drivers are used by the recovery environment in order to work with the hardware on your server. This is regardless of what OS is installed on the computer.  The recovery environment needs to work with the hardware in order to do its tasks..  Since the recovery environment is Vista PE, then the drivers need to be Vista compatible.

When you recover the server to different hardware, that is where the other drivers come into play.  Thre Restore AnyWare process will attempt to inject the proper NIC and storage drivers for the OS that is being recovered.  If the drivers are not available, then you are prompted for the proper drivers.  If you are not using the Restore AnyWare process, (recovering to the original computer) there is no need to inject the drivers since  they already exist in the image you are restoring.