cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Management Solution - backup policy

jooky
Not applicable
Hello.

I'm trying to migrate from BESR 8.5 with management control to BESR 2010 with management solution...
  I have one major issue however.  I'm not able to apply a backup policy
to a specific computer or group of computers.  When i select my new backup  policy and then click apply I get a standard list that has:  (see attached file for screenshot)

1.  Windows computers With Backuup Exec System Recovery Plug-in Installed
2.  Computers With Backup Exec System Recovery 8 Installed
3.  Computers With Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Installed
4.  Computers With Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 Installed
5.  Windows Computers With Backup Exec System Recovery Installed
6.  Computers Without LightsOut Restore Installed
7.  Computers With LightsOut Restore Installed.

How do I customize this list?  I have 30 servers and one policy is not going to work.  I can't have
all the backups scheduled at the same time.  I need very specific policies for small groups of computers.
The options listed really don't help as it estentially includes all servers.  How do I customize this list?
I'd like to be able to list specific servers or custom groups of servers.  Please help!  this is driving me crazy!
I suspect this has something to do with filters but so far I've not been able to figure this out.

Please, please help.

thx
john
15 REPLIES 15

Blinky
Level 4

Hi John,

I have/had the same query John!  I cannot find a way to create my own policies as I would ideally like to place a number of servers in a group and apply a job tho them centrally.

Anyway the way around your problem is to create your backup policy but dont apply it to anything, save the job and close it so you are back to the manage tasks screen and have the backup policy you created on screen.  Now.... highlight the backup policy click edit. When the policy opens, down the bottom you now have the option to click the dropdown and select 'Apply To'  - select this then in there you can add a rule to apply to the computers you want.  Not as easy as it was before and I am still looking for a better way to do it but for now.......

chvgms
Level 5
yes, i agree with you. Applying policy to specific machines is difficult using BESR 2010 MS. They should have given an option to create own computer groups or filters.

Thanks,
Sridhar

jstiavelli
Level 2
thx guys.  Finally got it.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
please specify the solution !!

jstiavelli
Level 2
The key is to create the policy and then go back in and edit it.  You can then create an exclude filter for all groups and an include filter the computer you want.
see blinky's explanation above.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
thanks !!!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
You can also create custom filters in the Altiris Console ! This is much more practical then using the exclude feature !

robclarke41
Level 4
Hi There,

I understand the fix, that you edit the policy after it has been created and then scroll down to 'applied to' and add the specified computer in.  My problem is that although my computer is visible under 'computers' in the manage tasks tab I cannot select it for this policy?  I dont understand why as if I select 'Computers With Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Installed' and apply the policy works fine and is sent out to the computer.

I need to specify backups at differnt times though as different servers have periods when a backup would interfere, why cant I select the server I want?

Any help very welcome!

Blinky
Level 4

Markus, 

Could you explain how to create custom groups as this is a feature I am really looking to implement but as I dont know Altiris I cannot figure it out!

rw
Level 3

I hope I'm not high jacking this query, but:

Markus,

I was looking for a way to create custom filters in Altiris Console too.  I found the console at:  http://localhost/Altiris/Console/ then MANAGE > FILTERS, but don't understand how to create a filter to pull only computers from a specific Organizational View and Group.  (IE.  MANAGE > ORGANIZATIONAL VIEWS and GROUPS, drill down to my custom groups I've setup)

I've created these custom views/groups to allow me to setup backup policies based on them but am having a problem assigning/applying them to the correct filter as I only get the default list show at the beginning of this thread.  I've come across the ability to create the policy then go back and edit it, but wanted to figure out how to modify the list as stated above.  I ultimately want to apply certain licenses to this group, other licenses to another group, etc...

Thanks,
RW

robclarke41
Level 4
RW, thats absolutely fine as this is exactly the same problem I have - Markus where are you? could really use your help here mate!

rw
Level 3

It looks like the default list above can be found in the filtering location I specified earlier, but it doesn't allow you to clone and modify the filters so they get added to the default list.  Just as an FYI:  I did run across this bit of info:  if you edit a license policy for example and add the filter to the "Applied to" section at the bottom, save and exit.  Then right click on that policy and select unapply, you will see what you just added to the "Applied to" section at the bottom but nothing else. 

Anyway, I was on a call with technical support about an issue with deploying BESR and asked about this issue/question.  The tech said that he would look into it.  I explained why I wanted to apply different keys to different groups and he said it didn't matter, they are headed toward a BEWS approach, just add the keys and then deploy.  I then asked why we had to even apply a license to the client then.  I think he got my point.  That whole apply and unapply feature in the right click context menu seems to be useless for me.  Maybe I will run across something some day that I need to apply to all BESR clients. 

Well to end with my conclusion.  I think someone else here stated this too, but I would/have created multiple backup job policies and gone back after the fact using the edit feature to add my custom filter to the "Applied To" section at the bottom.

rw
Level 3

Robclarke41

That is odd, you've installed the altiris agent, besr plug in, now the computers show under Manage Tasks > All Computers > Computers. 

Try this:
In the applied to section at the bottom of the backup policy, click the "applied to" drop down > computers > add rule > exclude computers NOT in > computer list > type computer name and it should pop up.  Click on "Save As" in the top left hand corner for later use.  Don't forget to check to see if the filter is working properly by clicking on update results.  only that one computer should be listed.

You can add multiple individual computers to a policy this way, Click  "applied to" drop down AGAIN > computers > add rule > exclude computers NOT in > computer list > type computer name and it should pop up.  Again save as for later use.  You will need to keep each computer list separated in its own filter as they will conflict with each other if you put it into the same one.

Then next time you run across a policy you want to add that computer by itself to, just click on "Applied To" > choose computer, the Click "Open" in the top left coner and select your saved filter for that one computer.

RW

robclarke41
Level 4
Thanks RW just tried that again and it worked this time, so I'll use this method.

Cheers

rw
Level 3
Great to hear it worked!  I'm still trying to figure out parts of this beast of a management solution :-).

RW