cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 restore way to SLOW!!

McQueen
Level 2
Hello experts,

I'm using Backup Exec system recovery to backup a server to a usb hard drive C: 40 Gb total capacity 13 GB used and D: 96GB capacity 83GB used, I'm using an independent recovery point with no comcression, this takes approxmatly 2hr 30minto backup. When I tried to to a bare metal restore using the CD to another very similar server it took way over 18hrs to restore and that was verify turned off.  Any idea's how to speed things up or what speed I should expect when restoring from a usb Hard drive.

Thanks for any help
4 REPLIES 4

RBall
Level 5
Try creating a custom SRD and manually adding USB drivers for that machine to make sure you are using USB 2.0 for the higher speed access.  I restored about 20GB in 20 minutes from our USB drive in a test.

/RB 

McQueen
Level 2
Thanks RB for the reply I'll try to create a SRD and manually add the USB drivers for the server, I just need to figure out how to create a SRD.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

RBall
Level 5
Put the generic SRD in the CDROM drive in the system (or in a drive on the network you can reach)

On the actual agent you want to create the custom SRD run...

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Agent\ModifiableSRD.exe

Follow along the wizard. I always create an ISO image in the end an burn it to CD on my workstation. The hardest part can be trying to figure out which drivers you need. Once you find them and create the new SRD you just need to test it.

Hope that helps,
/RB

steele73
Not applicable
I am running 8.5 and having the same problem with restores. Restoring across 1gb ethernet switch and nics. Total b.s. Seems to be running around 10mb/s. I don't have 24 hours to do a restore. Symantec tech support really doesn't exist for the most part.  Not sure what to do.