cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install BESR v8 on a 2003 Domain controller?

mango
Level 2
Hi all

Or is it a better option to insatll it on a stand alone server and install agents on the Exchange Server and Domain controller. Pls advice

Jeremy Choo
IT manager
3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can perform a full install of BESR 7.0x or 8.0x on a domain controller or a server running Exchange; please keep in mind that such an install (or even an agent only from a push install from another BESR console) will require the system to be rebooted before imaging can occur.

Agent only install can occur on these and other systems either by pushing the agent package from a full install console, or by running the setup.exe found in the \Install sub-folder located on the BESR product CD using the directions listed in the following technote:

Silent Install - Command Line parameters / switches for Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) 7.0 and 8.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/297125

Please refer to chapter 9, ‘backing up remote computers from your computer,’ in the Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery User's Guide (v8.0x) for more information.

mango
Level 2
Thanks David

If install on the Exchange server 2003 would it slow the server down. As the Exchange Server is also a Backup Exec V9 tape backup . Will it be compatible?

If I install it on a stand alone server how many licences do I need to protect one DC, one Exchange and a Web proxy server.

Jeremy

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Creating backups will take CPU processing resources and so can have a performance hit. I personally recommend to run Exchange backups during off-production hours after Exchange DB maintenance tasks has been accomplished successfully. Historically, BESR and BEWS 9.0x has not always cooperated on the same system, best to see if the equipment use by BEWS 9.0x now still falls within the HCL list for 10d or above and upgrade. Then be sure if you are using the AOFO option to have it select to use the Microsoft VSS provider and not set to automatic especially if BESR 8.0x or above is installed; known conflict of VSS providers could occur if within the selection list shadow copy components or system state resources are being backup on a system where BESR 8.0x/8.5 is installed.