cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not connect to USB or Network Resources booting with SRD

JohnnyF
Level 3

I am testing my BESR 8.5 backup by trying to restore it to similiar (almost identical) hardware.  We are upgrading from a server 2000 domain to server 2008 and I want to make sure my 2000 servers have good backups and they work!

I have a Compaq ProLiant ML350, 1.4 GHz P4 server.  Both the live server and this one are identical hardware. 

I wrote my backup image to an external USB hard drive.  The server has USB 1.1 built in and I have an additional PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 ports as well.  I boot from the BESR CD but when the interface comes up, it does not show this drive.  I have booted it up using both the USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports and I have swapped USB cables, just to make sure, but it will not find the USB drive.  I get the D drive (CD-ROM) and a BOOT X: drive.

I then booted from the BESR CD again and when it asks if I want network access I said Yes this time.  After it chews on it for a while I get "Could not get network adaptors".  It has both the original 10/100 it came with and an additional 10/100/1000 Intel Pro I added later.  Once the interface is up, all of the network utilities return the same error.  The USB drive is also not present.

Any suggestions out there?  Thanks.

JohnnyF

1 REPLY 1

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It sounds like you have issues with the drivers for your NIC and your external hard disk. The external hard disk drivers cannot be loaded within the recovery environment, but you can load NIC drivers in the recovery environment.

The first thing that you'll need to do is download and extract the Windows Vista/2008 drivers for your NIC (they must be Vista or 2008 drivers due to the Windows PE environment used on the SRD). Next, you'll need to either create a custom SRD using these drivers by following the instructions here; http://support.veritas.com/docs/292802 (of the two options, you will want to choose custom), or find a USB device that is recognized in the recovery environment or a floppy disk, place the drivers there, and load them from within the recovery environmentby following the instructions below.

In the recovery environment, select the 'Utilities' tab. Select 'Load a Driver'. Browse to the location of the driver and select open. The driver should take a few moments to load.