cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot read sectors

cjhdflok
Level 3

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery version 9.0.5.45729 is throwing us these errors lately:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of RECOVERY (*:\), OS (C:\), DATA (D:\).
    Error E0BB0083: Unable to create incremental recovery point.
        Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot1 cannot read 208 sectors starting at LBA 224909440.
            Error EBAB03F1: Incorrect function. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Backup Exec System Recovery

We've already tried a combination of turning on and off Smart Sector Copying and Ignore Bad Sectors but the error persists. A chkdsk comes out clean on all drives, so does a HDTune.

I've found this solution: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-create-incremental-recovery-point

But have a question regarding it. When I run the fixinstall.bat, will it remove all my current backup settings? Also, what does the partInfo.exe does exactly?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Fixinstall only reregisters the dlls and drivers, it does not harm your settings in any way. Partinfo collects partition information,

cjhdflok
Level 3

Ok, thank you.

Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. So it seems there are still some other issues lurking around

cjhdflok
Level 3

I've found this solution: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-create-incremental-recovery-point

Did not work unfortunately, so there are still unreadable sector issues I'm afraid...

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please let us know what OS is it ?

Also are you able to see any error messages in the Event Logs ?

Try this Open the SSR console -> Backup Job tab -> Right click on the backup job and select "Run backup job with options" -> Select "New Recovery point"set and run the backups

cjhdflok
Level 3

OS is Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

Ok, will try that, thanks.

cjhdflok
Level 3

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. Still the exact same error message.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, you'd possible try to shrink this volume beyond this bad sectors ?!

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well if the backups are successfull after enabling the "Ignore Bad Sector" that means it is verifying the disk has some bad sectors on it.

Because the recommendation is to have the "Ïgnore Bad Sectors" option unchecked.

If you are comfortable shrinking the volume , try only with 5MB of shrink.

There can also be a third party software using the VSS snapshot while SSR is getting backed up

The error "Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot1 cannot read 208 sectors starting at LBA 224909440" , however defines it is unable to read the sectors

cjhdflok
Level 3

I've tried this solution again but cleared the backup drive first, then checked the ignore bad sectors and disable smart sector copy boxes. Did a full backup just fine, ran a very long time but gave no errors.

But the next day, when it starts doing normal, incremental backups again: no go, same error.

cjhdflok
Level 3

But the odd thing is.. They are not succesfull, even when enabling that option but still give me the unreadable sector error.

It seems to be incredibly random though..

Full back-up on Wednesday: OK.
Incremental back-up on Thursday: NOK, bad sector error.
Incremental back-up on Friday: OK, without changing any of the settings.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Does the issue still exist ?

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is your issue resolved ? Sorry for a delay response.

Please refer : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-create-incremental-recovery-point