cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble restoring SBS 2008 using restore anyware

Prosperity_CU
Level 3

Hey all,

Had numerous calls with Symantec tech support and figured I might as well post my problem up here and see what the community has to say.

So this all started a few weeks ago when my boss asked me to begin testing our DR plan and documenting step by step how we would recover Server X. 

Our DC is running on a newer Dell server, dont' know what model off the top of my head R3610 seems right though.  Trying to restore it to a modified IBM E server 286, both are 64bit, I put a PCI raid card in the IBM server and attached a single 1TB Sata drive to restore to.

Restore is just C:\

includes AD/exchange and is about 250GB in size

Backed up the dell utility partition and the C:

restored the dell utility partition and C: in different combinations (I realize the utility partition is part of the problem) My absolute closest to having this server boot was this combination.

disk part > select disk 0 > clean

Restore anyware selected with default hidden options

Restore C: -restore MBR -Make drive active

then restore dell utility partion in behind it (for whatever reason I cannot view any of the files from the restore unless the dell utility partition is restored)

dell util was restored with no options

Now I get the error "NTOSKRNL.exe missing or corrupt" I have run startrep.exe from the SBS disk, no joy not really sure where to go from there.

I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

Jason

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69072 : Error during system boot after a successful recovery: NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Prosperity_CU
Level 3

If memory serves there is no Boot.ini with vista or later (including SBS 2008) its all BCD now.

Conversely I could use BCDedit to muck about with the boot loader.

I will keep you up to date of when I get this working!

Thanks for the info as well, I believe it will indirectly help me get this going

Jason

Prosperity_CU
Level 3

I reviewed the BCD using BCDedit.exe and found that everything was correctly configured, attempted another restore.

-Cleaned drive using Diskpart

-restored ONLY C:\ checked options : Make drive active, restore disk signature, restore MBR

-Restore anyware checked : accessed hidden options selected all (delete existing drivers, prompt for drivers, windows mini setup)

Restore happened after hours.

When I came in this morning it was looping through boots, never prompted for drivers, but (small victory) no NTOSKRNL.exe error, I get windows splash screen, the "ticker" goes by about 1.5 times then black screen + reboot.

I attempted booting into safe mode, it loads a bunch of system files.  then pauses at one (forget the name) and crashes, again black screen + reboot.

I am pretty well stumped, I think it might have to do with missing that driver prompt and it doesn't knwo how to talk to my raid card.  However that seems unlikely given that it is able to get to the windows splash screen.  Unless that driver is requried when NTOSKRNL.exe hands off to Hal.dll, could really use some insight.

Thoughts?

Jason