cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does it really work? - Backup Policy Compression Level

Stefan_Davidov
Level 3
I am evaluating Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Desktop Edition. I've been running a backup policy from BESR Management Solution from a server with weekly creation of recovery point sets, but I'm not quite sattisfied with the resulting time for a baseline snapshot for a single test PC (20 GB of data on HDD, Pentium 4 2.66GHz, 1.5 GB RAM). I have read the Administrator's Guide twice already and I am bit confused...

I am in need of a configuration solution(s) that would minimze Baseline Recovery Snapshot time, which now takes around 13 hours to complete at max CPU speed and bandwidth throttled to 500 KB/sec. The resulting time is exactly what it should be as my calculations confirm that. Incremental snapshots also take between 1 and 2 hours. Considering the creation of advanced backup policy with higher level of compression I am not sure, if compression will help or harm... here is a the part that confuses me:

"Compression: None - Select this option if storage space is not an issue. If the recovery point is saved to a busy network drive, the use of high compression may be faster than no compression because less data needs to be written across the network."
"Compression: High - Uses high compression for a 50% average data compression ratio on recovery point files. High compression is usually the slowest method.

When a high compression recovery point is created, CPU usage may be higher than normal. Other processes on the computer may also be slower. To compensate, you can adjust the operation speed of the
backup process. Speed adjustments may improve the performance of other resource-intensive applications that you run at the same time."

Will compression speed things up, keeping in mind that network bandwith of more than 500KBps for a PC is an issue, if you decide to backup 10 PC's for example...

I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me on the subject. Other directions would also be appreciated. Thank You all in advance!

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6
With compression setup, my entire C drive is almost half in size for the full recovery point...  And I'm not even using the "High," setting.

That said, since you are crippling the bandwidth artificially, any compression applied would ensure that more data can be sent over the wire.