cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Problem with BESR MS 2010 after installing SP3

Zell
Level 3

Hi,

I installed the service pack 3 of BESR MS due to problems similar to this : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/job-was-automatically-canceled-because-it-exceeded-jobs-maximum-configured-run-time-1

Since this installation, I encounter a big problem with BESR MS 2010.

When I run it, on the home page where appears normally the list of destination storage, I have an error message instead (see destination_drive.txt)

When I go to the tab "Manage tasks", another error message appears (see Manage_tasks.txt) and nothing appears on the screen (see screenshot_Manage_Tasks.jpg)

In the Altiris Console, I can access the list of clients but not to that of the safeguard policies.

As for clients, they lost their license information and the safeguard policies assigned to them.

After these problems, I updated Symantec Management Platform 7.0 but nothing changed.

I tried to run a repair of BESR MS
but no change either.

I always can restore my server in the state it was before installing SP3, but I would like to install this patch to fix some bugs.

For information, my server is Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks a lot for the help you can give me.

NB : Sorry for my broken English, I am French...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I always can restore my server in the state it was before installing SP3, but I would like to install this patch to fix some bugs.

I would do this first then. Get the server into a stable condition, then....

Check what service pack level of SMP you have (you can check this in SIM). I suspect it's SP2. If it is, update to SP5.

If that works, then try upgrading BESR-MS to SP3 level.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Try to simply reinstall the MS before you do the upgrade.

criley
Employee Accredited

I would do this first then. Get the server into a stable condition, then....

Check what service pack level of SMP you have (you can check this in SIM). I suspect it's SP2. If it is, update to SP5.

If that works, then try upgrading BESR-MS to SP3 level.

Hope that helps.

Zell
Level 3

Indeed, when I installed BESR-MS SP3, SMP was SP2.
My server is offline, I first installed the SP3 for BESR-MS, then, seeing that it was not working, I installed the update SMP MR4.
The order of installation patches matter?
I am currently restoring my server to find a stable condition.
SMP MR4 patch is newer than the SP5 is not it? do I install it or I must stay on the SP5?

criley
Employee Accredited

Just install SP5 for now.

Linas
Level 6

SP5 will remove ability to Deploy product to Windows 2000

SP4 will do same as SP5 but will not remove Windows 2000

i would do SP5 only if you have no Windows 2000 PC's

I got burned by this update and had to reinstall BESR2010MS from scratch

Zell
Level 3

Thank you for that clarification, I do have PC running Windows 2000 to manage ...
So I installed only the SP4.

Currently I have problems to restore my server, I tested when I successfully restore it.

Zell
Level 3

Hi,

All right, I restored my server in a stable condition.
I then installed SP4 HF1 SMP, everything worked after installation.
I then started installing BESR-MS
SP3 but I feel there is a problem during this installation.
It's almost 1h it is stuck on "Configure Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution 2010"
(see capture.jpg).
The progress bar "Task" continues to grow (it fills up and then returns to zero in loop).
The progress bar "Settings" and "Overall Progress" does not move.
If I look at the Windows Task Manager, the process "sqlservr.exe" uses 50% CPU.
I can not cancel the installation, a message says "SIM is being installed or uninstall products. Wait until the process ends."

What should I do ?
Kill the installation process and restart the installation ? wait ? (I don't know if this time is normal...)

Thanks.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Be patient, this could take a while !

criley
Employee Accredited

I argee with Markus, just leave it for a few more hours and see what happens.

If the database is large, this could explain why it is taking so long.

Zell
Level 3

All right, after more than 3 hours of waiting, the installation completed.
At first seen everything seems to work well.
However, I have two questions:

- In the "Control Tasks", when I start a new task (the update agent, for example) displayed in "Job status" is slow to update. The task remains in status "running" as if I click on "details" I see that the task has been completed on the client. It takes at least 5 minutes for it to be updated while it was updating itself almost instantly before.

- I feel like browsing BESR-MS is slower since the update (which could be explained what I wrote above), which could come from these delays ?

My server is a VM with 2 GB RAM and Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3 GHz

A big thanks for the help you gave me for my updates !

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Out of my experience: Yes, after this update my SSR-MS was also a little slower.

Feel free to mark this thread as solved wink