cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery point set option is disabled

themightydude
Level 2

I recently went through our BESR 8 on a server to re-configure backups.

When I did, I deleted the current backup jobs, to create new ones.

However, when I select the 2 drives I want to backup and go to select the recovery point type the only option I have is the "Independent recovery Point" and not the "Recovery point Set".

Obviously, I'd much rather do the recovery point set to save space.

The 2 drives, I'm trying to backup is "C" and "D".

C is the OS, and D is the data drive.

If I select only the "D" drive, I can do the recovery point set, but if I select just the "C" or select both "C" and "D", then I can only do the independent recovery point set.

Anyone have any ideas?

We're running Windows Server 2003 SP2.

3 REPLIES 3

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

You probably have one recovery point set configured for the C Drive already. It's my understanding that BESR only allows you to maintain one incremental set for any given drive.

If you don't have one incremental set configured already, try restarting the BESR service to clear it's memory of backup jobs.

themightydude
Level 2

I did that.

After I deleted the backup jobs, I moved the previous backups to an offsite location so that they are no longer on the drive where the backups are generated.

I was still having the same problem, so I installed the latest "8.0.2" patch to the BESR server, then restarted the entire server. However, I'm still seeing the same thing.

If I click on "Manage backup destination" there are no existing backups there for the server I'm trying to backup...So I should be able to create a new recovery set point.

Joseph_L_
Level 5
Employee

You could try deleted the .PQH and .PQJ files. Browse to the following folders :

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Schedule

Delete all the fileswith the .PQJ extension. This will delete your current scheduled backup jobs. 

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\History

Delete all the files with the .PQH extension. This will delete your backup job history. 

You will have to re-create your backup jobs.