cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBESR 7.01 service hangs!

MDolfins
Level 3
I am using SBESR 7.01. One problem that has become somewhat annoying is that on some servers the SBESR service will hang when running a backup job. The hangs are not every day, but at least once a week. It also seems to mainly be my SQL servers that are having this problem. Sometimes I can kill the process and restart the service, but also sometimes I have to reboot the server. Does anyone else have this problem or any ideas\documentation on this problem?
5 REPLIES 5

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Hi MDolfins,

I would first recommend running LiveUpdate to get to the latest version (currently 7.0.2)(7.0.3 will be released soon).

Based on the information provided, I would suspect this is a memory related issue.  When the service 'hangs', please check the memory usage.  When available RAM gets low, the machine/software may not run properly.  Also, if any errors are experienced, post them here.

MDolfins
Level 3
I was holding off going to 7.02 on all my servers since 7.02 for SBESRM is not ready yet. At least that is what I was told. I also heard there was a work around for the version mismatch, but I thought I would just wait since SBESRM 7.02 is supposed to come out soon. As far as the memory goes, I doubt that is the issue since we have plenty of RAM on all of our servers, plus we monitor RAM usage also. Could you let me know about the versions as they relate to both SBESR and the Management piece and what is currently going on? Are both programs at 7.02?

Martin_C
Level 4
Employee
There were number of improvments and logging enhancements included in BESR 7.02 therefore Rich was suggesting upgrade to this version. Do not worry about having BESRM 7.01, it will work just fine.

In addition you can implement a work around for machines running BESR 7.02 if they still experience service crashes:

Right-click on Backup Exec System Recovery service.

-Select Properties

-Select Recovery tab

-Under First Failure, select "Restart the Service."

-Under "Reset fail count after" enter "1" day.

-Under "Restart service after" Enter 0 (zero). Select OK.

MDolfins
Level 3
Thanks for the information, I'll give it a try. The only reason I mentioned SBESRM 7.01 is that a Symantec Tech had informed me that it wouldn't work with SBESR 7.02 unless I incorporated a work around or upgraded SBESRM to 7.02 when it becomes available. But you are saying you haven't had any issues? Have you had any hang problems with 7.02?

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
MDolfins,

SBESRM 7.01 can manage SBESR 7.02 just fine.
SBESR 7.03 does fix some additional Memory and Agent Hang issues.  This is expected to be available by Mid-January.

Cheers,
Rich L