cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recover from a different date than last backup.

PrimeInc
Level 3

A Windows patch is preventing my computer from booting.   Windows repair diagnostics states as much.

System restore to any system restore point fails.

I have recovered my computer to the last Symantec Recovery backup, from 5/11, which is after the Windows patch was applied but before I had a chance to reboot.

Thus, the problem continues.  Windows will not boot.

If I select "DATE" as the option, all I see are a bunch of restore points dated 5/11 with different times.   If I browse the USB drive with the files, I have very large files going back to March.  There are 108GB of files that make up the backup.  It is concievable that this includes everything from March to today, as I have 3TB of other drives used for data, which are not backed up with System Recovery 2011.

Howo I select an older restore point from the System Recovery Boot CD?  I do not see this option anywhere, nor in the admin guide:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SOFTWARE/SBESR8.5/en/UG/UG.pdf

8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited

If I select "DATE" as the option, all I see are a bunch of restore points dated 5/11 with different times.

So you are already in the right place to restore back to a certain point in time.

So you only see recovery points dated 5/11..? Were you backing up to a different location before this date? If so, you will obviously need to browse to that location before you see recovery points for the date/time you need to restore back to.

PrimeInc
Level 3

No, this location has all my backup data.   I have System Recovery set to create 640MB files.   There are a lot of 640MB files dated back as far as March.   The only thing listed is a bunch of 5/11 restore points.

PrimeInc
Level 3

Well, I just selected one of the old files by "Filename", a xxxxxx021.v2i file, and it comes up as dated from 4/1, which is before the bad Windows patch.   I find it odd selecting the other options doesn't reveal this restore point.    Wish me luck.

PrimeInc
Level 3

This experience has been rather disappointing.

I've sucussefully restored from BESR backups in version 9.   But none of my many restore points in System Recovery 2011 actually work.  I've tried many.   I am trying to restore Win7 64BIT SP1 EE.  I am restoring the C: drive which makes up the 100MB reserved (This is SSD) and the C: drive.   I have the other HDD unplugged, and I remove the USB drive before I reboot so that the proper C: drive becomes C:.

It doesn't boot.   If I put in a Windows 7 SP1 64BIT EE disk and try to repair the boot, it fails. 

I have a Window Image backup from February.  I had to resort to that to get a functional restore.   At least System Recovery images will get me DATA recovered...  

PrimeInc
Level 3

I have restored from February using my Windows Image.   Now I am trying to recover my files using the System Recovery 2011 backups I have.

I can see my C:\ drive.   That's fine.   But I also have a FILE backup job.   It backs up files from my other drives.    No matter what I do, I can't seem to find these files in my backups.   I had these set to backup more frequenty.  I have around 30,000 files in my "file" backup folder.   But the GUI doesn't seem to recoginze these.

I downloaded the users ADMIN guide, but it doesn't help.

Since my restore is from February, the GUI is aware that these old backups no longer exist.  But it doesn't know about the ones made in the last 2 months.

So how do I restore these "file" level backups from my other drives?

criley
Employee Accredited

You are probably running into this limitation:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124731

jaykay1952
Level 3
Partner

I believe Primelnc is running into the same problem I have always had with Symantec Backup Exec Desktop 2010 and Symantec System Restore 2011. It is as follows: It is typical to setup your backups so that it makes a full drive backup every week (or month) and then a file and folder backup every day (typically My Documents). So let's say that I do a full drive backup on the 1'st of the month, and then file and folder backups every day. If my hard drive dies on the 15th, I do a drive restore to a new drive from the last drive backup (the 1'st). But I cannot restore any of my files or folders from any day past the 1'st. If I go into the program and look at "Status", it shows the status AS IT EXISTED ON THE 1'ST (the day it was restored from). It shows all drive and file and folder backups that were made in the entire history of the backup software, UP TO THE DATE OF THE DRIVE BACKUP THAT WAS RESTORED. It doesn't show any of the daily backups from the 2'nd day of the month on, because it isn't aware of them. They didn't exist when the drive backup was made. If I try to do a file or folder restore, it only lets me search in full drive backups, none of the file backups are listed. I have never gotten an answer on how to make the software aware of file and folder backups that were made AFTER the drive backup date that I restored from. There should be something in the program like "refresh" to get it to go out to the external drive and find all of the file and folder backups that are there and update it's database, but there is nothing that I can find. So doing file and folder backups is useless if they are made after the last full drive backup and your hard drive dies.

criley
Employee Accredited

I think this may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63684