cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery and SNMP Traps

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

We have several Symanatec System Recovery installations and would like an easy way of monitoring the status of backups. We have seen that there is a "SNMP-Trap" option in SSR - we would appreciate any tips on how this can be setup/configured in order to monitor our backup status.

Many thanks.

32 REPLIES 32

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

OK. Does SSR Management Solution come with the purchased product (2010 or 2011) or is it a download? If the latter, link please.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Here is my wireshark output when I stop and start the "Backup System Recovery" service - does that mean my SNMP trap from SSR is working?

How else can I test it? If I don't use the SSR Management Solution, would you suggest any other tools in order to view the SNMP traps?

criley
Employee Accredited

You can download it here:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=88755

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Thanks - it's a free 60-day evaluation. That means after 60 days I need to purchase a license? I believe this is that same product which comes with the SSR CDs - right?

If so, I tried installing this. However, it only runs with IE7/8 (not IE9 on a Server 2008 R2) and I haven't be able to successfully downgrade to IE8.

criley
Employee Accredited

It's a feee product so ignore the statement about 60 days.

It does work with IE9 but you have to download the latest service pack for SMP (Symantec Management Platform) before install as support for IE9 was added later. This is done using the Symantec Installation Manager (SIM).

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

OK thanks. When trying to upgrade to Symantec Management Platform 7.1 SP1 (vesion 7.1.6851) via SIM, it fails when checking my current installation, with the IE7/IE8 issue - that I don't have this IE version installed.

criley
Employee Accredited

Support for IE was added with 7.1 SP2 (see here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9965).

You will have to select 7.1 SP2 for install in SIM to get past this problem.

I think we are moving away from your original topic (SNMP) here....perhaps start a new thread if you need further help?

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

I agree! Have logged a new call regarding the installation issues I am having with Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solution.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Give the personal edition from http://ireasoning.com/mibbrowser.shtml a try and load the SSR MIB before walking an SSR instance where SNMP is enabled.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Unfortunately, no one has replied to my new thread yet. Do you know if I am able to manually install SP2 without using SIM - to get around this CRL error?

criley
Employee Accredited

No, all service packs for SMP/SSR-MS MUST be installed via SIM.

I have replied to your new thread.

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, I don't see your comment in my new thread.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you been able to setup the SNMP monitoring yet ?