cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB drive Share failures with BESR and Sym Corp AV on same machine

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3
I ran into problem where BESR 8.01 is killing shares on a USB hard drive of a Windows 2003 server. Support believes its related to Symantec Corp Antivirus 10 being on the same machine. I removed BESR when I discoverd it was killing my backups in BE 11 and the DLO agent to this hard drive and attempted to work with support. After having me send system configs and logs, and waiting for days, they send an email saying have you solved you problem yet? Here's a complete removal bat file for BESR.
Well thanks for the great support, but getting back with, "thanks for the money now don't use our product or at least solve the problem alone" is not exactly what I expected for a support contract.
So anyone run into this problem and have any possible solutions. I've found quite a few refences to irpstacksize and setting it in the registry related to the share problem. I've played with it all over but is does not seem to help in this case.

4 REPLIES 4

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Besides updating the IRPStackSize value, some other things to consider are the following:

Microsoft patch KB906866

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906866

On the SAV portion of the problem consider the following to see if it remedyies the issue; if one does please contact SAV technical support with your results:

1) Install the updated build of the Symantec Event Drivers (known as SymEvent).
2) Install Symantec AntiVirus 10.x ensuring not to install the Internet Email Tools; reboot the system when complete.
3) See if the issue occurs if Tamper Protection is disabled in the Symantec AntiVirus interface.
4) In Windows Services locate the service SPBBCSVC and set it to disabled and reboot the system.

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3
I'm not seeing the errors refered to in the Microsoft links, so thats a dead end. The live updates have been ran so it should have the latest symevent drivers. The email function was never installed on with Symantec Corp AV, and I turned of the

1) Install the updated build of the Symantec Event Drivers (known as SymEvent).

live update has been ran so it should have the latest. The is the AV server BTW

2) Install Symantec AntiVirus 10.x ensuring not to install the Internet Email Tools; reboot the system when complete.

Email Tools were never installed on the server. Unistalling and reinstalling is a very major job since all the clients are attached to this server. I've been there, done that, it is a very major task requiring countless hours to get all the clients reattached to the server. And tech support was wrong then to. In other words you're saying Symantec products are much to costly to use because you treat host servers like they're a user decktop machine.

3) See if the issue occurs if Tamper Protection is disabled in the Symantec AntiVirus interface.

Disabled Tamper protection, and reinstalled BESR, rebooted, same problem.

4) In Windows Services locate the service SPBBCSVC and set it to disabled and reboot the system.

I'm waiting on a backup to finish now, then I'll try the SPBBCSVC service disable.

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3
Disabling and rebooting the SPBBCSVC service had no affect on the problem.
BESR 8 still disables shares on a USB drive attached to server with the Corp Addition AV.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It looks like the IRPstacksize value increase or possibly resetup all the shares is all that can be done; might be too many socket connections open especially since BESR keeps an open connection to the image storage location at all times.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078