cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use BESR 2010 to upgrade/increase storage of RAID'd server?

dmc3106
Not applicable

Hello - I have a NAS server which is rapidly running out of storage. I would like to know if there would be any potential issues in using BESR in order to restore the server to new, much larger capacity drives. Basically, the NAS server (Dell PowerEdge 2950) currently contains 5 x 500GB drives in RAID5 which I plan to remove and replace with 3 x 2T drives in RAID5. The current plan is to simply use BESR to image (backup) the entire server to External USB, shutdown, install new 3 x 2T drives, and restore using the BESR Recovery disk. I believe this would be much simpler than NOT using BESR, reinstalling the server after new drives are installed, and restoring data copying data back over. Is this a valid attempt at using a new set of drives on a PE 2950 in order to increase storage capacitty? Will the restore process via BESR allow expansion of the primary partition (only one installed - C:\) to use the FULL available space of the array created with the 3 new drives? Any insight is appreciated! /p>

1 REPLY 1

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yes, you can expand the partitions ! You just have to check the related option when doing the restore.