cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Installer 3.1 issue

dick2
Level 3

The installation of Backup Exec 2010 System Recovery Server Edition requires Windows Installer 3.1. We are running Server 2008 R2.  The Symantec installation tries to install Windows Installer, but it fails with the message that there is insufficient memory. A search on the web reveals that this has come up in other situations, but no one seems to have a solution. An attempt to install Windows Installer 3.1 directly from a download from Microsoft fails in the same way. Unfortunately, since we are a 501(c)(3), we acquired the Symantec Enterprise products at a discount and therefore do not qualify for any support at all. We are stymied at this point and would appreciate any possible help from the user community. Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you thought about installing Windows Installer 4.5 by hand ?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Is it a VM / HyperV install? Or is it a physical box? Is it on a terminal server? Are you installing locally or though a remote session? What type/amount of RAM is in the machine?

dick2
Level 3

It is a physical box - just a single server. It has 24 GB of DDR2 SD RAM.

dick2
Level 3

When I install Windows Installer 4.5 by hand I get the message that this update in "not applicable to your computer".

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you thought about opening a case for this issue ?

dick2
Level 3

I would love to open a case, but as I said in the original post, we bought the product at a non-profit discount and Symantec will not provide any support. They will not open a case.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you connecting to the box through a remote session, or are you in front of the machine when this happens? Also, does the user you are logged in as have the proper rights on the domain? We want to eliminate this as being a permissions issue.

You also may want to set your security settings to the default settings. You can do this through steps outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

dick2
Level 3

I am connected to the console session. I am an administrator. No domain, just a workgroup. I tried the install again. Same message "insufficient memory".

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any update here ?

dick2
Level 3

We are still stuck

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any update here ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any update here ?