cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring backup to computers with different hardware identities

Netprofessional
Level 2
Hello

I have a backup from my desktop PC and i want to restoring it to my laptop computer.
this backup was created by norton ghost , is restore enywhere is enabled in norton ghost  ?

now i am using symantec backup exec recovery and i explorerd many times to finding an option to enabling restore anywhere capability...but where? is this capability provided automatically in symantec exec?

i know that HAL & HDD drivers should be similar to restoring an image into computers with different hardware identities...so as i heard from friends, backup exec recovery is good backup & restore application for this situation.

I know how to updating HAL via repair tools provided by bootable Windows XP installation CD...but i think symantec exec should take less time for this process because of changing HAL automatically...is it right?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is possible to use RestoreAnywhere of a Ghost image, but only if restoring an image file created with Ghost 15 or later. It was not enabled in Ghost 14. Sorry about that.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What version of Ghost was the image created with?

Netprofessional
Level 2
i used norton ghost 14 version.

i got a screenshot:

http://cid-a513b5806fbd00bc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/custom%20photos/restoreanywhereisdisabled.bmp

the restore anywhere option is disabled as this screenshot shown.

so what is problem? please help

thanks

Netprofessional
Level 2
i think the problem is comming from miss matched HAL

if possible, please answer me soon

thank you so much

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is possible to use RestoreAnywhere of a Ghost image, but only if restoring an image file created with Ghost 15 or later. It was not enabled in Ghost 14. Sorry about that.

johnshobbrook
Not applicable
Hello Andreas, i have just jined and am not sure how to post a new question so i am hoping you may read this post.

I am trying to use Norton Ghost 15 to get an image of a 5 year old Windows 2003 HP desktop box onto a new HP Proliant DL380G6 server.
I managed to do the same thing about 6 months ago but on a slighly older model of HP server.

When i try now i get to 99% on the c drive and then it asks me to put in the restore disk (which is already in the machine). The only button i can press is cancel and then when i try to boot the server the Windows 2003 loading progress bar comes up for about 10 seconds and then the server reboots and continues doing so over and over again.

Can you think of what could be causing this please?

Many thanks
John

TomStock
Not applicable

Andreas-

I am currently using Ghost 15 to try to ghost my HP tx2 laptop to my dell inspiron 1520 laptop.  I am able to boot into the server environment on my dell computer and it appears the image is being copied until 99% and it then says something like image verification failed

When I restart my machine, I get the "Windows cannot boot, please insert a recovery disk" error.  However, I looked at the hard drive using a LiveCD of ubuntu and all the files went over correctly.

I created the backup of my tx2 as an independent backup restore point.  I did not see anywhere in Ghost 15 for a setting like "restore anywhere".

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas Stockwell