cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

understanding lightsoutrestore

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

By reading the available guide I haven't been able to really understand what is the use of lightsoutrestore

Beeing able to restore from remote locations might be really good for me. I have some virtualized servers with HYPERV and many virtual machine on. But how does it work? Where should I install lightout restore? on the physical server? on the VM? or both?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

LightsOut Restore (LOR) is basically a copy of the recovery disk (SRD) installed on a partition on the hard disk of the client machine.

It means that you can then connect remotely (via pcAnywhere, HP iLO, Dell DRAC etc) and perform restores without the need for someone to have access locally to the machine to insert an SRD.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

criley
Employee Accredited

LightsOut Restore (LOR) is basically a copy of the recovery disk (SRD) installed on a partition on the hard disk of the client machine.

It means that you can then connect remotely (via pcAnywhere, HP iLO, Dell DRAC etc) and perform restores without the need for someone to have access locally to the machine to insert an SRD.

Hope that helps.

giorgiobusoni
Level 5

uhm, so it is useless to install on VM, as I can always remotely manage them and insert the ISO of the recovery CD in their virtual DVD-rom...

I will install on physical server and clients then....