cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External SAS storage array on BE3600 R2

Snuffy
Not applicable

I've been using a BE 3600 appliance for a couple of years now and I keep running up against the deduplication store filling the internal storage array. I'd like to attach an external storage array with more disk and move my deduplication store onto the external array. Since SAS is way faster than USB I'd prefer to utilize the external SAS connection that is currently laying fallow. Does anyone know if the SAS HBA supports external disk arrays in addition to tape devices? I know that many years ago I ran up against a parallel SCSI adapter that would only support tape devices, ignoring any disks attached, and I'm hoping that's not the case here. I've been unable to locate anything in the appliance documentation that states if this is an option. The adapter installed is a LSI SAS2 2008 Falcon Storport.

Also, if anyone has done this and has a recommendation for an external array they're pleased with, I'm open to suggestions.

Ad<thanx>vance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer Backup Exec Appliance section of Backup Exec 2014 Hardware Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech214803

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Snuffy: You're out of luck here. SAS is supported for connection to an external tape unit only, not disk.

It clearly states under the Backup Exec Appliance (BE 3600 R3) section (under Supported Versions) that any B2D is supported as long as it is USB or CIFS.

So make sure that the NAS can do CIFS in order to target this...that said, it also must be supported as a dedupe location so the Disk Storage section you're refered to must indicate this.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer Backup Exec Appliance section of Backup Exec 2014 Hardware Compatibility List

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech214803

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Snuffy: You're out of luck here. SAS is supported for connection to an external tape unit only, not disk.

It clearly states under the Backup Exec Appliance (BE 3600 R3) section (under Supported Versions) that any B2D is supported as long as it is USB or CIFS.

So make sure that the NAS can do CIFS in order to target this...that said, it also must be supported as a dedupe location so the Disk Storage section you're refered to must indicate this.

Thanks!