Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5TB file server data incrementally with Backup Exec

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
Hello all,

I need to set up backup job or jobs for backing up 1.5TB file server data incrementally with Backup Exec 12.5

I really need your suggestions.

Should split the folders into jobs?
What should I consider when doing this incrementally?
Should I use synthetic jobs or templates? How should be my jobs? ( I really don't want to take any full backups after the first time).

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
Definitely look into the NTFS change journal for this task.

Do not use synthetics, BE will fail on you on large file counts.  

Only split the job if you have a slow target, and fear that the job will bomb and take too long to restart and complete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
Definitely look into the NTFS change journal for this task.

Do not use synthetics, BE will fail on you on large file counts.  

Only split the job if you have a slow target, and fear that the job will bomb and take too long to restart and complete.

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
There are too (I mean toooo) many files, since this is a file server.

So would you suggest me to create a job to take an initial full backup and create another job to take incremental backups, and never run the full backup again?

I can split the job into a few jobs with the same scenario above I guess.

Thanks

MitchR
Level 6
I'd recommend a monthly full, then a daily differential.  If you're running incrementals, finding the right file to restore is going to be a nightmare.

I'd second the comment about breaking it up if you have concerns over a failed job.  If it were me, I'd split it up into 2 or 3 obvious catagories. (departments, or something like that)

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
yes it looks like network resources are not enough to backup everything through a single job. I'm gonna need to split the backup into 3 parts.

So, just to verify, all I need is 3 jobs with full backups (once every two months probably) and  3 jobs with incremental backups (every 2 days probably).  I guess that would be enough.

The data on the server is not so critical to take everyday backups, but we definitely have to back it up.

Thanks