cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d Upgrade taking forever (4+ hours on the same screen)

Steven_Kain
Level 3
I am currently running an upgrade of backup exec 10d SP1 to Backup Exec 11d (current version).

I met all prerequsite checks and have tested the upgrade in my lab fomr the same version just fine. When I performed the upgrade in pre-production the upgrade ran and I do recall the install taking some time; however, I am in hour 4 of the upgrade process.

I have been stuck on the "Installing Syamntec Backup Exec for Windows Servers" screen with the message "Please wait while the install wizard installs Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 11d for Windows Servers. This may take several minuets" for 4+ hours.

This can't be normal, has anyone else seen this? The server appears to be fine and I am using a console session to perform the install? The server has 4 dual core 2.8 Zeons and 4GB of RAM and the resources are barrely making a peep. None the apps are frozen, everything shows running. I am installing from files on a local disk that I have used in the past successfully.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Steven_Kain
Level 3
OMFG, just went to the next step, I began the upgrade at @ 11:00AM EST and it finished at 5:16EST.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I'd still like to know. My guess is a DB or catalog updates?!? But thats still ridiculosly LONG.

Thanks in advance.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Upgrading to 11d can take a long time. The upgrade to SQL Express in particular is time-consuming.

Steven_Kain
Level 3
I confirmed this with Symantec (sort of) it must be the SQL Upgrade.