cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45d - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
I am running a server to handle my network back-ups. I have 7 different back-up jobs, from several servers, running nightly. I get this error on only one of the jobs. All of the other jobs run fine. I have a sony robotic tape library that it connected to the server via SCSI. The data is pulled accross the network for the back-ups. Any ideas?
19 REPLIES 19

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

We recommend to update the firmware and the SCSI controller driver and verify results

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hi,

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
I have the latest firmware and SCSI driver loaded. The drives are Veritas.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As you have mentioned that you have installed the latest drivers please check the device SCSI configuration.
Please follow this technote to check the SCSI configuration

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Please check whether the service removable storage media is running.

Please check for any event id 9 or 11 if there any event is please contact hardware manufacturer for more details on this
Please see the microsoft KB article on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q154690

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
I was on the phone yesterday with veritas support. We reconfigure the SCSI setting on th back of the library, and reinstalled the updates from www.support.veritas.com. Was able to run on short backup yesterday. But the backup last night failed with the following errors:

More info:

Job ended: Thursday, April 21, 2005 at 2:42:11 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa00084ec - Error reading/writing data from/to the media.

Final error category: Backup Media Errors

----- TapeAlert Events -----

Warning - A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not have been successfully completed.
Robotic Library: SPECTRA 1
Drive: SONY 1
Slot: 19

Critical - The tape is from a faulty batch or the tape drive is faulty:
1. Use a good tape to test the drive.
2. If the problem persists, call the tape drive supplier helpline.

Critical - Your data is at risk:
1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
2. Do not use this tape again.
3. Restart the operation with a different tape.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

The error that you have received last " Final error 0xa00084ec - error reading/writing data from/to the media."
can be caused due to numerous factors please see the technote below for more understanding on this:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192216

As you have mentioned that you have installed the latest drivers please try doing the foll steps:

1 Clean the tape drive using cleaning media. (3 to 4 times)
2 Try running hardware diagnostic utility on the tape drive.
3 Try performing backup on a fresh media (New Media).

Also as mentioned in the last reply please verify whether you have any event id 9 or 11 on the device if yes then please contact device manufacturer for more informatuion on this.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Thanks,

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
I have been to the link you posted. I have also tried all 3 of those sugestions you posted. This weekend two out of 5 backup jobs ran sucessfully. The other 3 failed with the same errors.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

To isolate the cause of the issue try taking a backup with NT backup and also try taking a backup using Backup to disk folder and then observe the result.

Thanks,

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
Well yesterday, I talked to the vnedory of the robotic library, Sony, and they suggested I try it on anothr server. I had even more problems with that...

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
Ok here's the latest update:
Today
The SCSI settings are set per last phone call Drive 1: 3, Drive 2: 4, Library: 2, Configuration: 3. In Veritas, I received a hardware failure trying to inventory the library, and now it is offline. I rebooted the server and the Sony Library. And still have the same issue. I also get several errors in Event Log. 1 is: Source: Service Control Manager, Event ID: 7026, The following boot-start or system-start driver's) failed to load: SCSIChanger 2: Source: Remote Storage, Event ID: 102, Unable to register COM class objects. 3: Source: Removable Storage, Event ID: 98, RSM was stopped. Also when the server boots and list the SCSI there are 2. SCSI ID: 2 Sony LIB-302 and SCSI ID 3: 3 Sony 700TX, not sure on that. I am also getting errors in Event Viewer for: Source: atapi, Event TD: 9, The device, \device\ide\ideport0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Tonight
I decided to just go ahead and reinstall the server. So I installed W2K Server on the renamed server AVCNCSRVBACK1. Ran the windows updates. Installed the Sony Tape drive. Installed Veritas. Now it doesn't see a robotic library but a single Sony 100Gig drive. Ran the latest Veritas Updates, and still see's it and a single drive. If I go to configure Drives It seems to see the tape library but doesn't set it up as a device...

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Event ID 9 clearly suggests that this is a hardware error.
Event ID 9s signify SCSI bus timeouts. These errors usually occur when the SCSI bus resets itself, or the tape drive does not respond in a timely fashion. Sometimes slowing the SCSI bus down can help resolve these issues. Also, loading the latest SCSI drivers and firmware can help resolve these issues. In certain high end servers, moving the SCSI card to a different Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) slot, one that does not share the same bus as a RAID controller, has been known to fix these errors. If neither of these help resolve the issue, please contact the hardware manufacturer.

- Also look for event ids 7, 11, 15.
- For test purposes, try using NTBackup and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered
threads’ pool.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
The SCSI card I am using has a RAID controller. I have ordered a card that doesn't have that and will try again

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hi,

Will wait for the updates from your side.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
I installed the new SCSI card and received the same hardware failure error error

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
doobie

Change this registry key to 1 and restart all the BE services - then try the Library operations again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Adamm\Enable Robotic Library Tape Release.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
I have already done that.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for updating us.
-Please verify in the event logs if you receive any event id's

-Please check whether the device is explicitly "tested" in the Hardware compatibility list if no then try installing latest manufacturers drivers and then verify the result.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271383

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked 'assumed answered' and would be moved to 'answered questions' pool.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
Ok, after doing numerous test and sending them off to Sony, they have come to the conclusion that there is something physically wrong with the drive.

Bob_Thomas
Level 4
ok, I got the replacement drive and things look a whole lot better. Was able to inventory the drive, erase media, and label media. I will let you know how the jobs tonight run in the morning. One issue I have noticed. During all the problems with the tape library I moved Backup Exec from one server to another (per Sony's request). Prior to that I was able to backup multiple remote servers with the Remote agent. Now I cannot get two of those servers to let me create jobs. I get an error about the remote agent needing to be installed. I go throught the install, it seems to run fine, but I get the same error creating a job. When looking at the servers that still work I notice c:program files\veritas\backup exec\rant (remote agent nt?) and serveral entries in the registery. On the servers that do not work with the remote agent I have c:\program files\back exec\nt (with just one file ctxmenu.dll which cannot be deleated) and only one registry entry. Does anyone have any ideas?