cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A communications failure has occurred with trying to backup through Remote Agent

Barbara_Dobbs
Level 3
Hello,

I am needing some assistance.  I have upgraded from Backup Exec 10.0 to 10d.  When I tried to push the Remote Agent and Advanced Open file software to my remote servers, the error came up that the RPC server was not available.  So, I installed the Remote Agent and Advanced Open File on each computer that the Knowledge Base suggested.

The backup works for the server that the main software is installed on.  I can see the remote servers and am able to click on the files that I want to back up but, keeping getting the message "The job failed with the following error:  A communications failure has occurred."   The Remote Agent is not stopping.  The System Logon Account is the user.  I have put it in debug mode but, to be quite honest I cannot find where a report would be located at.

All of these servers are behind a firewall and I am using the same Group Policy to open ports that I was using with version 10 (which worked fine), so I do not believe that can be the problem.

I have tried so many things and nothing seems to work.  Can anyone give me some ideas on what I can try next.  I really need to get this up and running as quickly as possible.

Thank you.

Barb Dobbs

2 REPLIES 2

Dave_Miller
Level 3
Sometimes the port settings get changesd during an upgrade (it happend to me). I know a GPO should handle this on your OS side but you might want to go to Tools>Options>Network and Firewall and make sure that the Enable Remote agent TCP dynamic port range is enable and set to a range of 10000-10100 Also, you might want to talk to one of your network adminstrator and have them doubel check the exceptions on it.

Barbara_Dobbs
Level 3
Dave,

Thank you so much.  That was it.  I had forgetton to set those items to the ports that I am using.

Barb Dobbs