cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After BE install, server won't fully reboot

Paul_Jenson
Level 3
The install of BE goes fine, I can reboot the server and bring it back up. However, then I set up the backup jobs and let them run. However, once I reboot the server, it doesn't fully load into windows. I get the following error:

SPOOLSV.EXE the procedure entry point GetPrinterA could not be located in the dynamic link library spoolss.dll

Also, when this happens, I can ping the server, but the networks shares don't come, printing doesn't work and one cannot RDP into the server. This is Windows 2000 server SP4. I know that BE is the issue b/c as soon as I uninstall the app and reboot the server, everything is fine. I have attempted the process twice to make sure. This is happening on 3 of my servers. Any ideas? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any event ids in the event logs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Paul_Jenson
Level 3
There are 3 errors in the event log after the server is rebooted at sitting in the 'weird' state, however, I have researched them and am not sure how they are related to the install. The errors are:

Event Type:Error
Event Source:atkctrs
Event Category:None
Event ID:3001
Date:5/10/2006
Time:4:46:49 PM
User:N/A
Computer:PCA-DC
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 3001 ) in Source ( atkctrs ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..
Data:
0000: a0 86 01 00 00 00 00 00 �†......

and..

Event Source:PerfDisk
Event ID:1000
Time:4:46:49 PM
Description:
Unable to open the Disk performance object. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 70 10 00 00 p...

and...

Event Source:rasctrs
Event ID:2001
Time:4:46:50 PM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 2001 ) in Source ( rasctrs ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

There are no more errors at all. Like I said, once I uninstall BackupExec and reboot, the server is fine and these errors don't re-appear.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What is the backup exec version that you are using?

- Is backup exec installed on the MSDE Instance or on the SQL Instance`?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Paul_Jenson
Level 3
Backup Exec 10.0, using MSDE. Thanks.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
Try following steps and see the results:

1. Stop all the "Backup Exec for Windows Servers" and MSSQL$BKUPEXEC services.
2. Change the startup to manual.
3. Reboot the server.
4. Check if the error still appears.
5. Start the services.

Thanks and regards,
Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Paul_Jenson
Level 3
Actually, this does work, I have tried that before. However, then I need to remember to manually start those services every time the server is rebooted. That is not really a fix for my problem, more of a band-aid.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Paul,

Try repairing the backup exec installation with the help of the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Please keep us updated on the issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.