cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 Cannot Reinstall Archiving Services

Michael_Lu
Level 3

Hi all,

Because of some server problems, I needed to reinstall BE 2010.

I uninstalled BE 2010 completely and reinstalled it again with the same options, but when the installation completed, I found all the Enterprise Vault services failed to start, but they were running normally before I uninstall BE!

I looked deeper and discovered that some files in "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Enterprise Vault" are missing and no matter how many times I try to install or repair, the files still missing.

Does anyone know the solution to this?

Best regards

Michael Lu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In this technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720 " which AmolZeroCool and Affinity has already provided, when you go the location " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services " you will only find following core Backup Exec services.

• Backup Exec
  • BackupExecAgentAccelerator
  • BackupExecAgentBrowser
  • BackupExecDeviceMediaService
  • BackupExecJobEngine
  • BackupExecRPCService
  • DLOAdminSvcu
  • DLOMaintananceSvc
  • SCSIChanger ............................................ (This is not the core BE service)
  •  

But as the issue here is to delete the services that are installed by the Backup Exec Archive Option you will also have to delete the Backup Exec Archive services which are as follows:

• Enterprise Vault Admin Service

• Enterprise Vault Directory Service

• Enterprise Vault Indexing Service

• Enterprise Vault Storage Service

• Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service

I just thought of informing this as its not listed in that technote.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB

Check the event viewer for the error message generated while starting the service.

Sush---
    Level 6

Also check the installation log file  BKUPINST.HTM if there are any errors/warnigs generated during the installation of Backup Exec.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Michael_Lu
    Level 3

Hi

Thanks for the reply, When I try to start the services, it gives me the error "Can't find supecfic files." As I said, when I look into the Enterprise Vault folder, the core services files were missing. 

I just review the installation log, it seems like the Enterprise Vault services wasn't uninstalled when I remove BE 2010 cause this problem, but I can't find a way to remove the services, every time I uninstall BE 2010, the services stays!

Does anyone know a way to completely uninstall BE 2010?

Regards

Michael Lu

AmolB

Manually uninstallation of BE  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720

itsmeaffinity
    Level 6

Hi ,

Please click on link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720

But before referrig to this document I will still recommend open support call with backup exec & then do this with concerning them

Thank You

Sush---
    Level 6

In this technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720 " which AmolZeroCool and Affinity has already provided, when you go the location " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services " you will only find following core Backup Exec services.

• Backup Exec
  • BackupExecAgentAccelerator
  • BackupExecAgentBrowser
  • BackupExecDeviceMediaService
  • BackupExecJobEngine
  • BackupExecRPCService
  • DLOAdminSvcu
  • DLOMaintananceSvc
  • SCSIChanger ............................................ (This is not the core BE service)
  •  

But as the issue here is to delete the services that are installed by the Backup Exec Archive Option you will also have to delete the Backup Exec Archive services which are as follows:

• Enterprise Vault Admin Service

• Enterprise Vault Directory Service

• Enterprise Vault Indexing Service

• Enterprise Vault Storage Service

• Enterprise Vault Task Controller Service

I just thought of informing this as its not listed in that technote.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Michael_Lu
    Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for answering guys, I followed the steps and finally remove the Enterprise Vault services. After that I reinstall BE 2010 and it works perfectly.

Hope Symantec can improve the installation to remove the services compeletly.

Regards

Michael Lu