cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 unable to restore VMware VM, "problem creating or accessing one or more files needed."

frizzlefry
Level 3
Hello,

We need to restore a VM and get an error when we attempt to restore it to its original location or if we try and redirect to a different datastore. Error is:
"e00095a4 - The operation failed because the virtual center or ESX server reported a problem creating or accessing one or more files needed."

The VMware client reports an error that there was insufficient disk space to create the VM. But we have plenty of disk space. Its being restored to the same datastore where is was. The backup is a full backup, using VMware agent, GRT disabled and was backed up to tape. We are (were I suppose) going to switch from vranger to the VMware agent so we do have a vranger backup that is a month old. It restores just fine. I tried restoring the VMDK files to a local disk and then copy them to a datastore on the ESX host but VMware will not see/recognize the VMDK when I try to attach it to a VM. The only Symantec article I have found referencing the error I have is http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/350614.htm. The solution mentioned is "Confirm that all the XML files are present and accessible in the IMG folder from the backup job" but this is a non-GRT backup on tape. No IMG folder or XML files.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

frizzlefry
Level 3
Ok we tried duplicating the tape backup to a backup-to-disk folder and there is an IMG folder with XML file. Same error. I'm just really thankfull that it was a test envirnment server and not a production one but there about about 15 people who have been working in it and would really like to have the latest backup restored rather than the one we took with Vranger a month ago. Can anyone think of anything?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
 refer document
http://support.veritas.com/docs/353292

FYI
You can run the backup job first to disk and then duplicate the backup to tape ...
And set the retention of the disk backup such that it overwrites every day and you have one copy of the backup on disk ...
As if you have backup on tape and when you run the restore it would first restore to disk and then extract the Vm which need to be restore ...