cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 : setting back a share and its settings?

CM_kristof
Level 2

Hi,

i have a migration to be done. On the server there are several shares.

I did a testrun but it seems that all securitysettings are being copied to the new location BUT share settings are lost.

is there a way around this ?

I've looked into this problem and came up with : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189560

but that didn't help.

Anyone knows how u backup and restore a shared folder?

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you tried to do a full backup run to see if the permissions are backed up correctly? If this is on a server that supports a remote agent, why not install the relevant remote agent and back the server up properly?

Thanks!

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Share permissions are stored in the registry. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/408.how-to-back-up-and-restore-ntfs-and-share-permissions.aspx

lmosla
Level 6

Adding another reference to the above posts see this forum's discussion  backup and restore files with ntfs and share file permissions 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The specific settings of the shares would as far as I am aware be part of the system state of the server owning the the shares, as whether or not a folder is shared is not really a direct attribute of the file system but more a property of the networking of the host server (as justifcation notice that the reg key from sbora is a LANMAN reg key and nothing to do with NTFS.)

As such you can't migrate a share between servers with a standard file system restore (Although a complete DR recovery should allow you to migrate the whole server including it's shares to different hardware) Therefore to move shares from one file server to another it is likely that you would need to setup the shares again.