cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R3 - issues moving BEDB

isl_it
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I need to move BEDB to an SQL server 2012 box. Actually boxes, because I have 2 SQL servers 2012 with Availability Groups enabled, however it is not crucial for me to have the db replicated in the Availability Groups.

I tried to use the BEUtility to move the BEDB without success (errors saying that BE is not installed on the target server, and that SQL is not running either. I imagine that it's possible to move the BEDB manually and I was wondering if any of you had a procedure I could use.

Thanks in advance

PS : our BE2010 R3 is out-of-support and we keep it to do tapes once a month so not worth investing much on it.

13 REPLIES 13

lmosla
Level 6

Backup Exec 2010 R3 cannot be installed on SQL 2012 the latest version of SQL is SQL server 2008R2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...which means you need to renew your maintenance in order to upgrade to BE 2014...

Thanks!

isl_it
Level 3

Hello,

Ok, thank you for the valuable information. We will consider the update.
However, is it still possible to have the manual procedure for testing purposes ?

Thank you

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Manually moving the BEDB involves moving the physical DB files and updating various registry keys on the BE server. Not a recommended way to move the BEDB unless absolutely necessary.

isl_it
Level 3

I understand and totally get your point. However, I would like to try it before upgrading as BE is only used in our environment to make a set of 3 tapes each month.

That being said, we have plenty of other properly licensed Symantec products (Altiris, SEP12, Mail Gateway for the most) which we are very happy with :)

Best regards

isl_it
Level 3

PS : even if it's an unsupported method or it doesn't matter for us as our BE2010 is out of support anyway.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only way to do so is with BEutility.exe as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37752

...also remembering that SQL 2012 is not supported so you have absolutely NO guarantee.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

There is no difference between moving the BEDB using BEUtility vs a manual movement. Using this version of SQL will just cause un-necessary issues to the existing install of BE and you'll have to eventually undo the changes made.

isl_it
Level 3

The difference is that I actually can't move the BEDB using the utility because it returns me an error and I would please try manually at my own risk, even if I have to revert back. If it doesn't work, I can motivate the upgrade to my management team.

Best regards

isl_it
Level 3

PS : you can send the procedure via PM/email if you don't want it to be public, which I totally understand too.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why do you have to move the BEDB?  Presumably it is using the default SQL, let it be.

isl_it
Level 3

I want to move BEDB because we BE is installed on our last physical server. We built an MSSQL availability group and the plan is to move all the db's in it.
Now that I have justified everything, would it be possible to have the manual procedure for me to test please ?

Thanks in advance

VJware
Level 6

I have PM'd you the manual method for moving the BEDB to a different instance.

Sorry, If i still don't understand the reasons for using this method, when the preferred method is via BEUtility and when the version of SQL which you are using isn't compatible with BE 2010.

The difference is that I actually can't move the BEDB using the utility because it returns me an error

Possibly, the error is due to the version of SQL and hence the move via BEUtility fails. As mentioned earlier, there is no difference from using the UI or via changing the registry keys manually.

If it doesn't work, I can motivate the upgrade to my management team.

imho, wouldn't it be easier to present the software compatibility lists which states BE 2010 doesn't support, whereas BE 2014 does.

Lastly, BE 2014 supports using SQL 2012 as its DB repository, though I am not sure if SQL with Availability Group is supported or not.