cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 - Old shares/locations failing backups

spacemantl
Level 2

Hi there,

I've attached a couple of files to show the errors we receive.

They seem to be related to SQL databases that no longer exist, or old shares/files that no longer exist.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

They seem to be related to SQL databases that no longer exist, or old shares/files that no longer exist.

Have you tried recreating the backup job (specifically recreating the backup selections) ?

spacemantl
Level 2

VJware, thank you very much for the response.

I have yes, but you can only pick "SQL Server" as a whole not each individual instance, same with the file shares.

Why are these locations still appearing in the "Test credentials" when they no longer exist?

Please, any help would really be appreciated.

VJware
Level 6

Have you tried removing & readding the server from the Backup & Restore tab ?

Doing so would require one to recreate the jobs, however defunct selections will no longer appear.

spacemantl
Level 2

VJware, thanks again for the response.

We have two servers, I was able to remove one of them but not the other. I had a look on the forums and people have mentioned about the "backup sets" and to remove these, but I didn't have to for one of the servers and I was able to remove. But for some reason I cannot remove the other server. Is this because it is the server I have BE2010 installed on?

Also for the one I could remove I have not tried backing up again yet, but I can already see that it has remembered the assocaited backyup sets, and in the "Test credentials" it is still showing old/removed SQL instances. So I'm guessing it will bring up the error for example on "SOLARWINDS" database.

Should I try manually removing each "backup set"..?

Thanks for your time.

VJware
Level 6

But for some reason I cannot remove the other server. Is this because it is the server I have BE2010 installed on?

Yes.

Should I try manually removing each "backup set"..?

Backup sets contain the actual backed up data. Removing those sets means you will not be able to restore the data contained in those sets. If you are sure, that you do not require these sets, then yes, they can be removed.

After readding the servrer, do you see the old/removed SQL instances in the backup selections ? If not, then ideally the error should not occur.

Cupis
Level 4

I see that its complaining about the VSS writers too, check the status of the source servers vss writers after the backup fails

Admin cmd prompt: vssadmin list writers

you will see the status of the SQL VSS Writer, if this is unhealthy this would affect your backups too.