cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEX2012 Logon Account Change

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi all.  I upgraded from BEX 10d (inherited server/configuration) to 2012 where all backup jobs using 10d and now all backup jobs using 2012, where created and run using an originally configured domain logon account in our domain.  We are now  being forced to collapse our domain in our enterprise environment and therefore this logon account will no longer be valid.

Can I easily add another account, most likely a local admin account on the server where BEX2012 is installed, within the "logon account management" configuration pane and set this new account as "default" and have everything work as before?

Will BEX and the DB still recognize all the cataloging and such in order for me to be able to pull data from the backup job tapes that were created using this original domain account, and cataloged when the version was 10d as well as the newer backup jobs made with v2012?  I seem to remember, when doing the BEX upgrade, there being something about the tapes being "locked" by default when v10d was used to created those old backups.  How dependendant are all of the backup/cataloging jobs to tape on the logon account for BEX 10d and 2012 that was used.

How can I best test out using the new local server "default" logon account to pull data from the old and newer tape backup jobs?

tnx...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Be aware that if the account that created some of the configurations within Backup Exec no longer exists then you may have to recreate the configurations using the new logon account . Things can be affacted by this are jobs and selection lists, encryption keys, logon accounts etc (especially is restricted and not common settings were used. )

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It's easy-enough to change the logon account. Use beutility.exe to change the logon account to something else.

As long as that account has Domain Admin rights and is on the local admins group of the other servers you shouldn't have an issue. Also, as long as it has the relevant application rights you should be fine.

Done this myself with beutility.exe and haven't had an issue with it.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

Also, do ensure the new account has all rights as per https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech23689.html

Colin_Weaver

Be aware that if the account that created some of the configurations within Backup Exec no longer exists then you may have to recreate the configurations using the new logon account . Things can be affacted by this are jobs and selection lists, encryption keys, logon accounts etc (especially is restricted and not common settings were used. )

ksdst1
Level 5

Thanks for all the replies.  Colin, I think your comment is the issue I ran into when upgrading from 10d to 2012 and initially being prompted for a "media passowrd" when trying to catalogue the old tapes.  It seems that the original logon default account used with 10d was set as the media password by default for that version.  Finally, I was able to import all of the old catalogs from 10d to 2012 and have been using that same original logon default (domain) account.  I will no loger have this domain account when the domain is collapsed.  Which means I can't access the old tapes.  Not good!

tnx... 

ksdst1
Level 5

This is a question due to the information listed in the above link for tech23689.  It states in the "create a service account for BEX" section that "If this computer is in a domain, enter a Domain Administrators account, or an equivalent account that is part of the Domain Admins group" 

Does this mean that best practices of setting the BEX service account during installation, are to use a domain admin account as the service account if the computer is part of a domain, as opposed to using a local administrator account on that computer as the service account?  Or can you use either type of admin account similarly for this purpose?  

In the case like mine where the service account, which is a domain admin account, will no longer exist, will setting a new "default:" service account allow for restoring data from tape catalogues that were created with BEX running under the original service account?  

tnx...   

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are your tapes password protected?  If they are, then it is not an account problem.

ksdst1
Level 5

Tnx...ok, if not password protected (which I have not setup) then catalogues are not dependent on the program's default login/servie account.  Good.  

I am going to have to change the default account and don't want to have to change it again so am thinking using a local machine admin account instead of a domain admin account.  So that question still stands:

"This is a question due to the information listed in the above link for tech23689.  It states in the "create a service account for BEX" section that "If this computer is in a domain, enter a Domain Administrators account, or an equivalent account that is part of the Domain Admins group" 

Does this mean that best practices of setting the BEX service account during installation, are to use a domain admin account as the service account if the computer is part of a domain, as opposed to using a local administrator account on that computer as the service account?  Or can you use either type of admin account similarly for this purpose? "

Tnx...

VJware
Level 6

If the BE media server is in a domain, then the service account must be a domain administrator.

ksdst1
Level 5

Ok...tnx for the confirmation on that!!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you would generally mark the solution/s that helped you find your answer, not your own. Please reflect that.

Thanks!