cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUEXEC 12.5 Installation to Windows 2008 HyperV w/SQL2005

William_Bruce
Level 3

I'm looking for any and all information on installing BUExec 12.5 on a virtual Windows 2008 x64 system, that has MS SQL 2005 installed.

Best practices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you upgrade to BE 12.5, check the SCL and HCL to make sure that everything is supported.

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62114

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you want to host BE database on the SQL 2005 or do you want BE to use SQL express instance 

which comes along with BE itself ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not recommended that you install BE in a VM, especially if you intend to use tape drives.  See the discussion below and the document referenced by me in the discussion.

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Installed on a VMware vSphere 4 (ESXi 4.1 u1)guest machine | Symantec Connect Co...

It would be better to use a physical machine for your media server.

William_Bruce
Level 3

Can I use a 32 bit physical media server (Windows 2003), then install an agent on the 64bit Hyper-V virtualized Windows 2008 server?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. You can, then you can back it up as if it is a physical server.  If you want to back it up as a VM, then you would need the AMHV agent which will allow you to backup all the VM's on that physical host.

William_Bruce
Level 3

Here's what I have. I have the physical, media server with BUExec v10d, and a 10 slot auto-lib with a single drive. Am I able to capture the 64bit virtual server with this older solution?

And thanks again for your feedback.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. Server 2008 is not supported by BE 10d.  Since you are upgrading, you should upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version and not BE 12.5.

William_Bruce
Level 3

Kinda figured that's how it would go. However, I have an open license for 12.5. If it's supported, my Director will have me install, and upgrade to 2010 next year.

If 2010 is the only option, we'll upgrade of course. Now, I hope my tape drive will work with 12.5 and/or 2010. It never ends . . . .

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you upgrade to BE 12.5, check the SCL and HCL to make sure that everything is supported.

BE 12.5 Software (SCL)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62114