Did you mean: 

Backing up Backup Exec server Q

LozBC
Level 4

Hi,

I want to backup my Backup Exec server.

I am aware that I need:

• Data folder (For DB backup)
  • Catalogs folder (Not technically necessary but useful)
  • Licences
  • Version and patch info

I found this link which is useful:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

I found this article via this post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-backup-exec-server

A Symantec Employee comment mentions that the Data and Catalog folders must be backed up manually?

Does this mean I can not simply schedule a job within Backup Exec itself to do this?

(The DB at the very least should be OK because the DB maintenance window creates a backup I believe which will not be active?)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I never backup these directories separately. These directories are backed up as part of the media server backup. This is sufficient for me. My view is that he is expressing his own opinion, there is no official Symantec recommendation to backup these directories manually

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Makes no sense...back them up as part of the primary job you run for every other server.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I never backup these directories separately. These directories are backed up as part of the media server backup. This is sufficient for me. My view is that he is expressing his own opinion, there is no official Symantec recommendation to backup these directories manually

CraigV

Makes no sense...back them up as part of the primary job you run for every other server.

Thanks!

LozBC
Level 4

Thank you both for replying.

I will indeed simply back it up like any other resource!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

couple of suggestions

1) Run the backup of your media server when the backups or your production servers have finished (not whilst they are still running)

2) set the Database maintenance to also be when no production server backup jobs are running and 5-10 minutes prior to when your media server backup starts

- If you follow these two points then the BEDB.BAK and the catalogs will be as consistent as you can get them prior to the backup of the media server starting

diallocire
Not applicable

great!

CraigV

...glad to have helped!

Thanks!