cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Backing up VMs and GRT - backup exec 2010

Vantage47
Level 3

Hi there

im a bit confused about Virtual Machine back ups and GRT functionality.

We currently back up the vmdk file under Virtual Machines and Esx Servers and only the vmdk file is present for backup.  When we want to restore individual files from the VM we are unable to and the only option present to us is to restore the whole vmdk file.

As you can see from the attached, GRT is enabled etc

Is it a constraint within BE that we can only restore the whole vm from this section and in order to backup individual files we must use the backup agent?

if it is possible to restore individual files from just the vmdk file, can you tell me how to do this as from the attached you can see that i am only able to restore the vmdk file and cannot drill down  to individual files.

many thanks

matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For starters don't view by media to locate the selections - view by media will only show you the VMDK files.

Look for the server name of the virtual machine in the restore selections and expand that Note don't expand the container object called VMware Virtual Center and ESX Servers as this will also only show the VMDK.  You need to look in the section that looks like restore selections from a standard remote agent backup - except look for the machine name of the VM (which isn't always the same as the VM Name)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For starters don't view by media to locate the selections - view by media will only show you the VMDK files.

Look for the server name of the virtual machine in the restore selections and expand that Note don't expand the container object called VMware Virtual Center and ESX Servers as this will also only show the VMDK.  You need to look in the section that looks like restore selections from a standard remote agent backup - except look for the machine name of the VM (which isn't always the same as the VM Name)

Vantage47
Level 3

brilliant, thanks for that, this is where i was getting confused.

I can see the individual files now.

Matt