cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up a Synology RS814

jp46
Level 2

Hi,

I have a Synology RS814 NAS which I need to have backed up always and am currently using Backup exec 12.5.

Are there any agents or alternatives available for backing up the Synology NAS to tapes?

Would appreciate any assistance.

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There is no agent for Synology and it is not supported by the NDMP Option either

As such your only Backup Exec option is a share level backup using the tape drive attached to the windows based Backup Exec Media Server

If I remember correctly in BE 12.5 you setup share level backup using a User Defined Selection and you may have some fun getting the security access working. 

Some limitations:

The job log will always contain a warning that the remote agent is not found (this cannot be disabled)

Incremental and differential backups are not supported over shares

The Access Control lists cannot be backed up over shares (result = custom file and folder permissions are likely to be lost during a restore)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver

There is no agent for Synology and it is not supported by the NDMP Option either

As such your only Backup Exec option is a share level backup using the tape drive attached to the windows based Backup Exec Media Server

If I remember correctly in BE 12.5 you setup share level backup using a User Defined Selection and you may have some fun getting the security access working. 

Some limitations:

The job log will always contain a warning that the remote agent is not found (this cannot be disabled)

Incremental and differential backups are not supported over shares

The Access Control lists cannot be backed up over shares (result = custom file and folder permissions are likely to be lost during a restore)

Mai_Ali
Level 4
Accredited Certified

You didn't need to agent to take backup from storage to tape. you can do this by using backup disk to disk to tape strategy. so you can this backup to tape. but take care in restore, you need to restore to storage then to server that you want.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

take care in restore, you need to restore to storage then to server that you want.

This is not true. You can just restore the file to the original location or redirect it to another location

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...not sure how you got to this? Can you explain a bit?

Duplicating to tape from disk (NOT backing up!) ensures you don't need the disk to do the restore.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

Sorry but you do need a remote agent in order to backup the data on shares - try running a share level backup with no remote agents installed (and after the evaluation period has expired) and see what happens

jp46
Level 2

Thanks all for the replies.

I tried taking a backupo using User Defined shares. Yes I did struggle with the permissions at first but got that working after a while. 

The backup job failed with the below error. Any ideas?

Error category    : Job Errors
Error             : e0008821 - Job was recovered as a result of Backup Exec RPC service starting.  No user action is required.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34849

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited