cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 CatDump Utility

Jason_Cecchin
Level 3
Partner
I am trying to use the catdump utility to dump a catalog of a previous backup but the utility stops dumping before it reaches the end of the catalog.

I have checked this by looking at the catalog in the BE restore screen and it stops at only about half way.

The catalog is from a mutlitape backup (not that this should make any difference) but I tried this on a few others and I have the same problem with single tape backup catalogs as well.

I am using the latest version from the URL listed below:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277184.htm

There are no error messages in dump file or anything to indicate why this is happening.

Help.....
8 REPLIES 8

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-Please check any event error under event logs is generated ?
-Was this a fresh install or upgrade from BEWS 9.1 ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jason_Cecchin
Level 3
Partner
I have already checked event logs but there was nothing there or under Alerts in BE to indicate any issue. The catdump software simply stops.

Tried this on various catalogs which are on the server and it seems to be a problem with long ones. Its like catdump has a buffer or something which is getting full when large catalogs are read. I wouldn't have thought that the catalogs are excessively large. (The dump utility fails on catalogs with .FH files which are only 2MB but the main catalog which we are wanting to read is 10MB big.)

This server was upgraded from BE 8.6 to 10. Its currently running on windows 2000 sp4. We are intending to migrate it to 2003 server in the near future, when I will re-install BE 10 cleanly but I need to solve this problem in the meantime.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
-Please ensure that you have copied the catdump.exe to the path:C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT
-DO you have the 5520 revision installed.
-Please try to dump the specific catalog file on which it is failng.
EG:catdump C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{A018199C-8617-11D1-ABBE-0000-F832B476}.IMG > C:\Catalog.txt
Substitute the .IMG file with the name of the file you wish to dump.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jason_Cecchin
Level 3
Partner
I have the catdump utility copied to the C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT directory.

I am also running 5520 revision of BE. The original jobs were run when BE was at this revision as well as now when I try to dump catalog.

Also tried running catdump with a full path to catalog .img file rather than catalogs\.img but this didn't make any difference - it still stopped well before the end of the jobs catalog as detailed in the gui.

Jason_Cecchin
Level 3
Partner
I am wondering if any resolution has been found for this issue.

Soon we will probably update to 10.1 (10d) and this may solve the issue???

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you getting any alerts while performing this operation?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jason_Cecchin
Level 3
Partner
We are not getting any windows event log errors or alerts in be console when we run catdump.

Some of the jobs we tried this on had issues due to OFO but we still had the catdump issue also on jobs which didn't have this problem.

The listing simply stops well before the catalog on the windows interface

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Jason,

We apologize for the late response.

You will have to Copy the file "CatDump.exe" to the Backup Exec directory (usually C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT) to copy catlogs.

It is used to copy catlog files of the previous BE installation. And then import them to a new installation so that you can still restore backup using the same old tapes.

We would like to know which command are you using to dump the catalogs.

You can refer to the following document.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273919.htm

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.