cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d, full backup time increased by 20hours after disabling Removable Storage service

EandP
Not applicable
Hi All,

For about 18 months, I have had a full backup routine running which has taken approximately 55 hours to backup 3.5TB of data (roughly 1000MB/min) including verification. While resolving some hardware issues on the backup server with the help of a Hewlett Packard tech, the tech noticed that the Removable Storage service was running and stated that it should be disabled as the Backup Exec services manage the library. I also have found several instances on this forum stating that this service should be set to 'manual' or 'disabled'.  So I disabled the Removable Storage service and now the same full backup routine takes 20 hours longer.

Does anybody have any comments on why my backup time has blown out by nearly 50% after disabling this service?

Thanks and regards,
Benn
2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
I have never heard of disabling RSM hurting performance.  It is standard practice to stop & disable RSM.  I suspect something else changed about the same time?  What slowed down, the backup or the verify?

rahuls
Level 3
Employee Certified
RSM should always be disabled while using an hardware with backup software, assuming that this part gets ruled out ... now try the suggestions given below as to know where the problem actually arises from,
* Check if you have the latest Symantec tape drivers installed
* Check if the firmware and SCSI controllers are updated with latest drivers
* Check the network speed - stop all BE services, later connect to a remote server using UNC path, try copying a data of approx 1GB and transfer it to your media server and check how lond does the transfer takes
You can also take help from the following technote which would act as a good reference for you resolving such performance related issue
http://support.veritas.com/docs/285756

Let me know if this helps .....
Awaiting response ...

Regards
Rahul S
Symantec Backup Exec