cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Rev.2213 - Duplicate Job of Oracle Backup taken with Oracle-Agent

pruess_h01
Level 2

Hello,
I made a new entry for my question from last year as I found a workaround to the problem and there were no other answers.

#########################

Our company uses Backup Exec 12.5 Rev.2213 and on one of our media servers we want to configure B2D2T for W2K3 Oracle Servers with three or more instances.
The B2D to a NAS is completed successfully, Backup is in the Backup Exec Catalog and restore/recovery of any instance from disk works fine.
But when we try to configure a Duplicate Job of the Oracle Backup taken with Oracle-Agent for the D2T part, we see only the backup information under one instance on each oracle server. That means, there are no entries shown under the other instances on the server. So the D2T covers only the file system of the oracle server and the backup of only one instance instead of three !?!
Did this problem occur to any forum member before?

#########################

Sincerely yours pruess_h01

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pruess_h01
Level 2

Backup Exec 12.5 Rev.2213 has a problem, if a server got more than one oracle instance.

For a Backup-to-Disc-to-Tape (B2D2T) in this case you have to configure one backup-job with the oracle agent for each oracle instance. Afterwards when you configure the Duplicate Job for the D2T part, you can successfully select all oracle instance.

Example:

Oracle-W2K3-server with three instances.

B2D job 1: backup of the partitions and instance 1 via oracle-agent.

B2D job 2: backup of instance 2 via oracle-agent.

B2D job 3: backup of instance 3 via oracle-agent.

D2T job: duplicate job of the partitions and all three instances.

Comment: In our company we have to separate the B2D and D2T in different jobs, because the tape library is in use during the B2D also. With two servers with three and five instances we have to configure 10 jobs altogether just for this two servers !!! We will test this case with BackupExec2010 in Q3 2011.

Should there be any other known solution, i would apreciate an answer very much.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pruess_h01
Level 2

Backup Exec 12.5 Rev.2213 has a problem, if a server got more than one oracle instance.

For a Backup-to-Disc-to-Tape (B2D2T) in this case you have to configure one backup-job with the oracle agent for each oracle instance. Afterwards when you configure the Duplicate Job for the D2T part, you can successfully select all oracle instance.

Example:

Oracle-W2K3-server with three instances.

B2D job 1: backup of the partitions and instance 1 via oracle-agent.

B2D job 2: backup of instance 2 via oracle-agent.

B2D job 3: backup of instance 3 via oracle-agent.

D2T job: duplicate job of the partitions and all three instances.

Comment: In our company we have to separate the B2D and D2T in different jobs, because the tape library is in use during the B2D also. With two servers with three and five instances we have to configure 10 jobs altogether just for this two servers !!! We will test this case with BackupExec2010 in Q3 2011.

Should there be any other known solution, i would apreciate an answer very much.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

A duplicate job in a policy should grab all the backup sets in a given job.  (each oracle instance is one backup set, as is one share, etc)

I don't have an answer for you (don't  run Oracle, so can't play with it myself)  but I have set the support flag on this thread