cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - media being assigned as Retired incorrectly

gbug1
Level 3

Hi all,
An odd problem that has popped up in the last week, is my BE server is assigning all media imported to the tape library as 'Retired'. The media may be brand new, or it may be a tape that is being imported for a restore. no matter what, it is being assigned as retired.
I am having to reassign the media to its correct category to get around this for now.
Any ideas on why this is happening, or what i can do to stop it?

Cheers.

6 REPLIES 6

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
What changed last week?  What hardware are you using?  Are you using hardware encryption?  When you import media to restore, are these tapes already in the BE catalog system?

gbug1
Level 3
Nothing at all has changed in the last week. We are using a Quantum PX506 tape library.
No hardware encryption.
And yes, the media is already part of the BE catalog, and assigned to its correct media group (ie Monthly tapes, etc)

gbug1
Level 3
Nothing at all has changed in the last week. We are using a Quantum PX506 tape library.
No hardware encryption.
And yes, the media is already part of the BE catalog, and assigned to its correct media group (ie Monthly tapes, etc)

rookie11
   VIP   
can u post logs to provide more details

gbug1
Level 3
Hi all, im still having this problem.
What logs do you want me to provide for you rookie11?

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Quite Possible , any windows update or backup exec update would have been installed last week .

You can probably look for the basic configuration like 

1)Check and confirm you have latest symantec drivers installed 
2)Medium Changes is set to unknow and not vendor specific , You can change it by running update drivers wizard 
3)Also , verify that that the RSM (Removable Storage Service ) is stopped 
4)Check in Windows System Event Logs if in case you have Device related Error 
5)Verify that you have all Backup Exec updates installed including any SP or HF 
6)Doing a Power cycle of the device and the server would be a good option , in case if it's SCSI communication Issue.

If these doesn't work , From Tools IN BACKUP EXEC console , you can run diagnosis and send those logs (BeDiag Log).

Thanks
Zaki Khan