cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 keeps setting tape drive to offline

boe
Level 3

Hello,

I'm running Backup Exec 2010 R2 rev 4164 with all the latest updates.   I have a Windows 2008 R2 server with a dell Perc 5/e adapter latest driver and firmware on Dell's website and an IBM Ultrium HH4 tape drive (dell 120-LTO4) FWA233 - also latest firmware

I am running it using the drivers from Symantec which I installed by running tapeinst.  The tape drive keeps going offline - happens after a job, is attempted, and everytime I inventory.  I can access it fine using the dell utility.   I see a ton of other posts about people having similar issues but so far no solution.   I've rebooted the server.  I've uninstalled the drivers for the tape and controller.   Backup to disc works fine. 

I'm running Perc 5/e controllers with Dell LTO4's in several locations without issue.  Some are running Windows 2008 others are running 2008 R2.   This is the only location I'm running BE 2010 R2.

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check in the event logs of tape library for any RAS tickets. Through the webconsole you can check those.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi boe,

Any specific errors being generated in the Alerts tab of BE?

Also, can you check and see if Dell have a utility you can check the health of your tape drive with? I think there is 1 (I know that IBM have 1), and it shows errors, it might be time to get it checked out by Dell.

Couple of other things to try:

1. Make sure there isn't a utility clashing with BE...Dell tape utility that you were using?

2. Uninstall the drive from Windows and BE and restart, letting Windows redetect the drive, and reinstall the DDI drivers from Symantec.

Post back with an update...

Laters!

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

Perc 5/e is not present in the that list

Can you try with a pure SCSI card.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi boe,

Any news here?

Thanks!