cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 tape unit problems

robosull
Level 4

I upgraded from Backup exec 12 to 2010 with SP1 and the following hot fixes; 358409, 354875, 138449, 354875, 138449, 354913, 153396.  I have Proliant DL 380 G4 with the following BIOS installed Bios P 51. I'm updating the Bios to what ever is the most recent on HP site, the tape unit in use is a LTO-4 1840 tape unit and it is connected to a smart Array 6i.

Before the upgrade this tape drive was working fine with the HP drivers as is all of my other tape backup units that were also upgraded to backup exec 2010 and are working with the HP tape drivers. So, changing to and using the Symantec drivers is not necessary and I have already done that and my tape drive is still displaying the following error "unrecognized tape format".  The funny thing is that I can erase the a tape and inventory a tape but once I ran a backup job, backup exec displays "unrecognized tape format".  Has anyone run in to this problem?  I have search the Symantec forms and I have also run the "TAPEINST.EXE"utility and that hasn't corrected the problem.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I was going to update the drviers for the Smart Array 6i & see if that helps.

Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Run HP LT&T utility against the tape drive.  Before running the utility, stop all the BE services.  Make sure you select the write test.

Have you power off and power on both the tape drive and the media server?

robosull
Level 4

Yes, I have power off both the tape unit and media server.  I also ran the HP LT&T Utility that is how I usually update the firmware.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Firstly, remove HF 354913 from the Control Panel - Add/Remove programs..Recycle BE services & re-try export or inventory.

In certain cases, a reboot might be required after uninstalling the hotfix.

robosull
Level 4

Is there a reason why, I should remove HF 354913?

VJware
Level 6

There was a known issue with HF 354913 which prevented the media server from being paused/unpaused & thereby having utility jobs go into a queued status...

EDIT***

Try these KBs:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147733

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142289

robosull
Level 4

I would like to add that I was having this issue before I installed HF 354913.  Is there a problem with the links that you had sent?  I'm just timeing out everytime I tried to access them.  Thanks, for your assistance.

VJware
Level 6

Are you getting " unrecognized tape format " with the same tape ?

Were you using the same LTO4 drive with same tapes prior to the upgrade ?

Also, have you tried erasing the tape & re-attempting the backup ?

robosull
Level 4

Yes, I am.    "Are you getting " unrecognized tape format " with the same tape ?"

Yes, I was using this same tape drive before the upgrade.   Were you using the same LTO4 drive with same tapes prior to the upgrade ?

Yes...    Also, have you tried erasing the tape & re-attempting the backup ?

VJware
Level 6

Possible tape corruption..Try using a different tape & if it fails with same error, you could rule out this possibility...

robosull
Level 4

I have used two different tapes and I have updated the SCSI card firmware just to rule out that.  I have to re-boot the server for the changes to take effective.  If for some reason, upgrading the firmware of SCSI controller and all of the above mention steps don't result in a successful backup what is the next step?

VJware
Level 6

Check if there any read/write errors on the drive or not ...Also, did you run a quick or long erase (long erase preferably needed here)...Also, are these LTO4 tapes or LTO3 or LTO2....

Try installing Symantec drivers to rule out any drivers issue...

robosull
Level 4

I trying the long erase right now and the tapes are both LTO4 and LTO3.  The Symantec drivers don't work either.

robosull
Level 4

I tried the long erase and I'm still receiving the "Media is unrecognizable" error.  I went to my other Media servers from this one new installation and I'm able to run the inventory commad and I'm able to see the proper name of the tape mind you both of Media servers are using backup exec 2010 with HP drivers.